• South Africa - Class 91 - UM6B - 2 foot gauge.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by PortoAmboim

I was in South Africa a few months ago, and saw several Class 91 UM6B locos operating on the 2'0" gauge Avontuur line west of Port Elizabeth. The Alfred County Railway in Natal closed a few years ago, and the Spoornet (at that time anyway) owned Avontuur line is the only 2'0" gauge line still in use, so there's no longer any need to move Class 91 locos between systems.

Of the 20 built by GE at Erie, 19 remain (91.014 was destroyed in a serious derailment in the Langkloof several years ago).

Derailment-damaged 91.009 was stored inside the Humewood Road workshops (and looked unlikely to ever return to service), and 91.010 was at Transwerk's 3'6" gauge New Brighton wagon depot on the northern side of Port Elizabeth.

In almost two weeks in Port Elizabeth I saw seven Class 91s (91.001/002/004/006/007/008/015) working trains. The other ten Class 91s were seen in the locomotive depot yard at Humewood Road, and all appeared to be in working order and in very good condition. 91.005 was being tested on the load box, but was not seen out on the road.

Citrus trains were running from Patensie (at the end of the branch from Gamtoos) to Port Elizabeth, and timber trains were running from Humansdorp to Port Elizabeth. The section west of Humansdorp to Avontuur was not in use, but could return to service if the loading point for the timber traffic moves further up the valley. I understand that in the recent past timber had been loaded at Assegaaibos and Louterwater.