• Questions on using a polarizer

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by NellsChoo

Hi folks

Wellp, they finally made an adapter so I can use 58mm "stuff" with my Canon SX10IS. I ordered it along with a polarizer. I was all excited to try it out on a train, but when I finally did, I ran into a problem...

After waiting for a rather slow train to arrive at my little photo-destination, I started snapping away, but I could see that there were little red lights in my lens. It appears that the headlights of the locomotive were bouncing off the camera lens back onto the polarizer. I had time to quickly screw the setup off the camera, and got a few good shots anyway.

But I am dissapointed. Does this mean I can't use any filters at all on my point-and-shoot? Do I maybe have to double-up on filters?

HELP!!!!!!!

JD
  by mrtransportation

Hi,

No does not mean you can not use filters with that camera. I know from my past experience with using polarizer filters which I mostly use them when I want to take glare of taking photos near water, autumn leaves and with clouds with blue sky. I think this topic has be discussed on filters on railroad.net or trainorders related to problem using filters taking photos of trains headlights. Also what brand filter are you using or want to use? Best idea I can give to you is to do search on google on polarizer filters or filters in how to use them with different types of photos, seasons, weather conditions, etc. Or can go to barnes and noble, boarders look for books on filters and read thru them to get better ideaon how to use them, but try online first on railroad.net or thru google search. You can even try and go to this site for help: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ . I know it has been while since used filters. I hope that helps you. If you need more information or have more questions on filters, you can contact me and I will do may best to help you.
  by Terminal Proceed

You need to use a GOOD QUALITY multi coated filter over your lens. This applies no matter what kind of filter you use. If you use inexpensive filters then you will end up getting light refracted between the lens and the filter which will show up in your photos. You get the results that you pay for.