• way to find out how many of the GP39H-2 are in rev service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by njtmnrrbuff

Hello all,
I'm going to be in DC next week for a wedding, and am wondering how many of the old GP39H-2s are in service? Is there a way to find that out? I would like to photograph them before they retire? thanks.
  by strench707

They're spread out over all three lines. Your probably slightly more likely to find more on the Camden and Brunswick lines than the Penn line since they're all diesel.

Making a trip down to DC and railfanning from the New York Ave. Metro platform would let you see trains for all three lines departing.

Davis
  by realtype

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Is Kensington a good spot, or any between there and Rockville? thanks.
John
Yep, but not all trains stop there. All Brunswick Line trains stop at Rockville. There are 6 GP39's in service, and unlike the GP40's (wide red nose) won't be replaced by the new MP36 diesels. They're usually used on MARC's shortest 3 car trains and once in a while also on 4 car sets, but never anything longer. 871 (Friday's only), 891, and 881in the afternoon are 3 car sets.
  by njtmnrrbuff

How's shadow situation at Kensington for westbounds in afternoon. thanks for the rundown of the number of cars, I should find them pulling.