• Train kills 2 fighters in Fairport

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

The TV news is reporting a fight broke out in a Fairport bar and spilled outside and onto the tracks. A westbound hit 3 people, killing 2 of them. More details will no doubt emerge. Two days before Christmas, no less! Unbelievable!

by charlie6017

This is too bad..................here's a link from WROC Channel 8
http://www.wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=16144

by Xplorer2000

charlie6017 wrote:This is too bad..................here's a link from WROC Channel 8
http://www.wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=16144
Ahhh....Darwinism at its finest ...if they were drunk & fighting. Now if, as the story hints, they weren't , and they were trying to do the right thing, then that IS truly sad, since the fool drunk got one or more of his friends killed.

by J.D. White

Umm ... Did they tink they were on a public sidewalk, 'cause all the trains I've seen don't take the sidewalk.

by charlie6017

One of the Rochester TV stations web-page reads: "Train accident kills 2 in Fairport". Torques me right off.....these moron reporters around here! How was it a "train accident"???? It was a PEOPLE ACCIDENT!!!! And it happened to involve a train because the PEOPLE GOT IN THE WAY OF IT!! Now, I do feel bad for the deceased and their families. But COME ON! TRAIN ACCIDENT?? I don't think so! Stupid media.........

by SimTrains

Ummmmmm...They were hit by a train......Hence "Train Accident"

You get into a car accident, it is still a car accident, reguardless of who's fault it was.

by BR&P

Oh it's worse than that - Channel 8 TV's web site had the headline "Fatal Train Wreck in Fairport". Apparently anything which involves a train is a train wreck. They have since changed the headline. Also, Channel 8 claims the train was eastbound, while the R News report said it was a westbound Conrail train (!?). And later stories are backing away from initial claims they were fighting.

It's a tragedy any way you look at it, and I'm sure the crew on the train will have a less than merry Christmas too, even though they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

by SimTrains

Now, I admit calling it a train wreak is poor reporting. Also, where did Conrail come from??

by dj_paige

Don't you read the papers in Rochester and watch the news in Rochester, SimTrains? This is not the first time they have mentioned Conrail when a train-related news story appears. I doubt it will be the last time either.

And I think I know why -- as you drive North on 390 from Jefferson Road, the interstate passes under the CSX Westshore Branch, and the sign on the side of the highway says "CONRAIL". Therefore ...

by O-6-O

I wouldn't get to hung up about Conrail vs CSX. Most people reading this
story don't know one from the other. Fans a likely to care but thats about
it. Most walkin around people can't name the VP of the US or their own
congressmen let alone the railline running through town. Still it would be
nice for the media not to be so lazy.

If a train derails and crashes into a bar is that a bar accident? Hmmm!

STEAM ON
/--OOO--;-oo--oo- Happy 05'
  by henry6

....media, I know the stupidity of it and the people in it! This was no train accident...it was a BAR ACCIDENT or a DRINKING ACCIDENT, or FIGHT or BRAWL or whatever, that ended up in front of a train, but IT WAS NOT A TRAIN ACCIDENT nor A RAILROAD ACCIDENT. Too bad the railroad and the train crew will pay for it. Unfortunately the media won't.

by rls62

According to WXXI-AM, the police have confirmed that the two men who were killed were in fact trying to stop their drunken friend(who survived) from driving home. All three were co-workers and were evicted from the bar after a brawl.
This is one of my favorite locations for train-spotting. The crossing at Main Street in Fairport includes three busy tracks: two from the CSX mainline and the West Shore which joins the main about 2 miles east at MP 359.