• Con Edison wants to drain Cortlandt's Railroad Pond

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by mncommuter

Anyone know anything about this? Why did they service locomotives at Montrose, when Harmon was so close by?
(or is the article incorrect?)
Railroad Pond is an innocuous little body of water off Furnace Dock Road that attracts scant notice aside from flocks of waterfowl that congregate there. The pond was created years ago, in order to service locomotives at the now-defunct Montrose train station, by damming a stream. Con Edison now owns the property and runs power lines through the site.
Citing safety concerns, the utility company says it is looking to empty the pond and restore the area to its original condition as a brook
Full article:
http://www.lohud.com/article/20100516/N ... lroad-Pond
  by DutchRailnut

At Montrose there use to be track pans to fill boiler water in tender while on fly, I guess the pond was to feed the pumps to feed the track pans.
  by ExCon90

DutchRailnut wrote:At Montrose there use to be track pans to fill boiler water in tender while on fly, I guess the pond was to feed the pumps to feed the track pans.
Also, there's some discussion of it on the TRACK PANS thread below.
  by Dieter

DutchRailnut wrote:At Montrose there use to be track pans to fill boiler water in tender while on fly, I guess the pond was to feed the pumps to feed the track pans.
True. Montrose is a historical rail location; This pond was the source for the FIRST track pans in the NATION. Central was the first to innovate and make the concept practical. I've often wondered what is remaining of the conduit system to get the water down the hill to the location of the pans.

There's probably Bass in that pond. It's been there so long and is such a nice part of the area, it would be a shame to drain it.

D/