• Why 4 axle RDMTs and not 6 axles?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by TerryC

When the RDMTs were made, why did CSXT use 4 axle GP30s and GP35s? Why not use SD35s, SD35Ms, or SD40s? Could CSXT have gutted a U Boat ballast it, put EMD traction motors on the trucks, and make it a G.E version of the RDMT?

keep asking keep learning
HAPPY BOXING DAY

by crazy_nip

you ask some of the stupidest questions...

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

be nice crazy_nip :-)

by roadster

Terry C
Most RDMTs are used in local service, (up here anyway) where six axles can sometimes be banned by track curvature. Also, the 4 xls units give higher tractive effort with the same HP of a single unit. (imagine an 8 xl 3000 HP engine) so less fuel is used during switching and industrial work.
Nip,
to blurt out that a question is stupid on this forum is an insult to all members. Maybe I am mistaken but I was under the impression that people could ask questions and share info. here, not be insulted for trying to learn. Shame on you!!!

by Robert Paniagua

Nip,
to blurt out that a question is stupid on this forum is an insult to all members. Maybe I am mistaken but I was under the impression that people could ask questions and share info. here, not be insulted for trying to learn. Shame on you!!!

Thanks, I agree with you Roadster.

Just take a look at the EMD forum for some evidence of him telling off TerryC. I think Nip needs to be more sensitive to others.

by TerryC

Thank you for the information, Robert Paniagua and roadster!

keep asking keep learning

by charlie6017

"be nice crazy_nip"

Please do.............