• Modelling the 1948 20th Century Limited

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by hkc123

Hello,

I am trying to detail the Walthers 20th Century Limited trains as a gift for my boyfriend. I have installed almost all of the hand grabs but I am having an issue with the flat wire stirup steps. Anyone have any idea how to properly install them?

I am also interested in changing the 20th century limited grate on the end of the observation car so that it lights up like I believe it originally did. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I am trying to make them look as life like as possible, so if anyone knows any specifics that should be changed or improved on the models I would greatly appreciate it. I plan to eventually do some interior painting and would love to put in window curtains.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
  by NYC1956

It helps to mention the scale. I'm guessing HO scale (which is not my choice), so I can't help much.

The 20th Century Limited sign on the end of the observation car was called a drumhead. It was illuminated with a blue light.

Tomar Industries makes the appropriate sign. They may even have the lighting kit for it.

Maybe this helps a little.
  by hkc123

Sorry, it is the HO scale train I am working on. I will look into the lighting kit, thanks for the tip!