• Should the Next generation of LIRR MU's be like the M1/3's?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I personally think the look of the M1/3's rock!!!Anyone else argee that the M9's should look like them? Also, are they gonna keep any M1s after the M7 order?

by Frank

No. The M1s will not survive the M7 order.

by JoeLIRR

From what i understand only a few of the BEST running M1's will survive the M7's for how long is still a mistory to me.
we have a chance to perserve and M1 lets hop on it while its still hot, B4 we sit here and dwell on this bord about how we should of restored an M!. 6-8 car train is all we really need.

by N340SG

Once again, guys....
678 car M-7 order
172 remaining M-3s (of 174) are being overhauled and kept in service
132 M-1s overhauled in late 90's will be kept in service even after all M-7s in current order are received

Do the math. The LIRR could not function properly with 850 EMU cars (678 + 172). It needs almost that many cars for A.M. commission hour. And usually at least 70 - 80 EMU cars are OOS for PI and repair.

Now, if the LIRR were to make a new deal in the future to secure funding for more new cars, that would of course be another story. (More new cars are on the Capital Program "wish list") But, the outlook for the EMU fleet as of today is as described above.

Tom

by tushykushy

I personally don't see why anyone would really like M1's today, even from a commuter stand point. I couldn't believe the ride quality when I rode a M7 a couple of weeks ago for the first time. M1's served their time, let them now retire.