Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by fredct

Tom V wrote:Some renderings included;
PATH to Staten Island via Newark Airport?..
Anything's possible, for now the bridge just has space for it, but no distinct plans. However, I think the thought would be more the old northern staten island railway extended to, I dunno, Elizabeth Station on the NEC? But again, the idea is so far off, anything's possible, as is nothing ever coming of it at all.
  by fredct

Taking a closer look at the article, I believe the PA unveiled the bridge plans, but I don't think they're anywhere near 'approving' them.
  by Tom V

The agency's preliminary plan aims to begin awarding construction contracts in 2011, with bridge completion in 2015.

The Port Authority's 10-year capital plan earmarks $1 billion for the project. The final cost estimates for the project have not been determined as the design process is still in its early stages.
http://www.panynj.gov/AboutthePortAutho ... hp?id=1108
  by jumsmuj

There has been no discussion of extending the PATH to staten island. There HAS, however, been a lot of talk of extending the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail down from 8th street in Bayonne and across the bridge. Furthermore, there is discussion of reactivating the rail-line on the north west shore of SI, and potentially connecting it to the HBLR. No plans have been drawn for either.
  by TREnecNYP

Regardless of what trains end up running over the bridge, a provision for rail should be made on any bridge to and from nyc especially in this area.

- A