• Ex-LIRR Coaches in White Plains, MD

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MadManMoon

I was driving down 301 in White Plains, MD and came across 6 old P-75 coaches sitting on a siding just off the road, alongside the Charles County Department of Health building. Any idea who owns them and where they're destined to end up? They look pretty sad - lots of grafitti.

I saw a few coaches somewhere in MA near Cape Cod a few years ago, too. Those old rustbucket coaches really get around!

So, anyone have any ideas about the MD coaches?

Thanks!

Drew

by NIMBYkiller

The ones in Ma are actually IN Hyannis, which is Cape Cod. They're owned by the Cape Cod Central, a tourist RR. I think they fried the traction motors or something mechanical on em and they can't afford to repair them.
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The ones in Maryland are most likely owned by Ken Bitten. He bought the entire fleet of LIRR P-7?'s and has been re-selling them over the years. He sells railroad equipment and has a storage location in Maryland.

by 9C1LT1

Hi Everyone,

Well good news, there were no traction motors to fry in the Cape Cod coaches! Just to explain Traction motors are only in motorized equipment for the most part. A diesel hauled coach, which can't move itself won't have traction motors. However M-1's which do move themselves do have traction motors. Cape Cod Central fried the electrical systems because they didn't use a LIRR powerpack. There version didn't have constant voltage and it shocked the old equipments electrical system.

-Barry

by NIMBYkiller

I knew they fried something, lol

by jayrmli

The cars in White Plains are owned by Ken Bitten. They are the coaches he wasn't able to resell when he took ownership of them.

There was also a planned dinner train operation down there using these coaches, but the FRA shut it down due to poor track conditions.

Jay

by VCRail

The Maryland operation was called the Indian Head Central since it would run on the old Navy trackage from Indian Head Jct. to the Naval facility at the end of the line. I believe there was also a plan to resume freight service, bringing coal to a power plant at the Navy facility.
I think there was an excursion or two to demonstrate the line's possibilities (or at least planned excursions, I believe the FRA had a say in the matter.). Power was ex-MBTA F10s.

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

9-11 is what killed the tourist operation in Maryland. Very soon after it happened they threw all civilian operations off the base, the Indian Head Central being one of them. I'm not sure but the track may have been removed recently to, or at least there were plans to. IHC operated for at least a year before the Navy pulled the plug.

by MadManMoon

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I knew this was the place to go. As an aside, I moved off Long Island about two years ago now, and I miss it more than anything. Seeing those old rustbucket coaches brought back so many memories!

I agree with an earlier post, speaking as a long-time lurker - this really is a remarkable forum! :-D

Drew

by jayrmli

I've only been down there once to buy parts from Ken, but there are coaches in two locations. One is behind the Wal-Mart. Is that where you were?

Jay

by MadManMoon

I was right off MD Route 301, right inbetween a shopping center. I remember there were a few liquor stores nearby, but no Wal-Mart. There are more somewhere?

Man, I gotta save up - for a mere $20,000 I can have a urine-smelling rustbucket coach of my very own! :P

by jayrmli

Don't ask me for directions. I was only there once and I wasn't driving, but they are in at least two different locations. The one string is on a single track, and there's a burnt out coach at the end of the line. Looks like it burned so long and so hot, the roof buckled in!

The other set is on two tracks, and is more visible from the main road.

Jay