• Any Fans of Italy's Railways Here?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Earle Baldwin

I have developed an avid interest in the railways of Italy. I'm particularly fascinated by the variety of electric locomotives which have been operated by FS over the years. Classes E 424, E 428 and E 626 have quite a distinctive appearance about them. I recently purchased several DVD's produced by Duegi Editrice, publisher of Tutto Treno and Tutto Treno Modellismo Magazines. Each program focuses on a different class of locomotive and is very well done.

Is anyone else here interested in the railways of Italy?
  by frankgaron2

Hi Earle:

Count me in. I've been to Milan twice, and Catanea in Sicily once. Have ridden from Milan up to Chiasso and beyond. I hope to get back and do some serious railfanning in the next year or two.

Are you aware of the magazine "Today's Railways" published by Platform 5 Publishing? It's a monthly magazine that covers the EU (and adjacent eastern european railways) in detail. Very much like our Trains or Railfan magazine. I have a subcription, although our local Borders carries it as well. Let me know if you're interested in a sample copy?

I have quite a large collection of European railway videos which I've converted over to DVD. Not too many covering Italy, but perhaps you'd be interested in trading? I find the German & Austrian railways particularly fascinating myself. France and Italy would run a close second.

Frank
  by Triplex

Like you, I'm mainly drawn to the old electrics. Not just the big 1930s power, but even - no, especially - the three-phase electrics. And then there are the "centoporte" passenger stock... Italian railways were interesting when they not only had a lot of old equipment, but most of it looked older than it was.