• Lyons closer to getting Amtrak station?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by joshuahouse

When we first heard about this project my family all agreed that it would be nicer to go to Lyons to catch a train then to Rochester, not that Rochester is that bad of a station, but more because you can find a place to have breakfest in Lyons when the Lakeshore is running late, as on the weekends theres nowhere open in Rochester on the weekends.

by roadster

The Amshack was the original idea, but the County has drawn up, and approved plans to build a regular station style building. Again, this is a County project, Not Amtraks. Amtrak has simply agreed to make stops there as needed when it's complete. As for security TV monitors, who's going to watch em? Being it's a County building, it would have to be County personel. Not a large staff either maybe 1 - 2 people from the tourism office during the day and evening hours when an Amtrak is scheduled to pass. No ticket sales, tickets are to be purchased either on-line or at travel agencies. This situation is simular to Rome NY's station, where the station is owned and maintained by the city. Rentivated in 2001/2002 using State and Federal grants, no Amtrak funds. Trains only stop when required to dropoff or p/u passengers. No staffing there at all, last I knew. Joshuahouse, if you are from The general Lyons/Geneva area as I am, consider the Syracuse Amtrak station next to Carosel Mall. Lot's of parking, places to hangout and eat while waiting for a late Amtrak. And it's next to Rt 81 exts and near Rt690.

by joshuahouse

roadster wrote:SNIP: Joshuahouse, if you are from The general Lyons/Geneva area as I am, consider the Syracuse Amtrak station next to Carosel Mall. Lot's of parking, places to hangout and eat while waiting for a late Amtrak. And it's next to Rt 81 exts and near Rt690.
We're down in Steuben County, its Rochester or nothing pretty much until the crackdream of scheduled service thru Binghamton, Elmira, Corning, and Hornell comes true.

by SRS125

I think the tv cameras at the Rome Station are watched by the city police.

by RailBus63

The 36,000 figure is no doubt being used to secure money for the project, but it's a dreamland figure. There's no way an average of 99 people will use this station each day.

JD

by roadster

Lyons PD doesn't have a staffed office. All officers patrol. There is a clerk on duty during the day only. The 2 duty officers per shift are out patroling the streets and they are plenty busy. I am still waiting to findout what if anything has been resolved regarding the issue of crossing the NS track to get to the station.

by videobruce

624 & 625 stop at Lyons............

by joshuahouse

Are those trains from long long past NY Central time Bruce?

by charlie6017

Those are the current CSX trains, Q624 and Q625.

by SRS125

Former Conrail Trains BUSY--Buffalo--Syracuse
and SYBU--Syracuse--Buffalo

by joshuahouse

Silly me, i still associate train # with only passenger rail.

by videobruce

joshuahouse wrote:Are those trains from long long past NY Central time Bruce?
That would be DB-1 and FRD 2 or 4