• TRAINS Magazine/Amtrak Conference - March 6

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by nomis

byte wrote:
Batman2 wrote:By the way, if anyone else is going, can they give me a lift from Ogilvie Station to the conference location?
Your best bet would be to hitch a ride with these folks.
Or just walk ... I will be coming from Ukrainian Village area, Western Ave -> CUS in the morning ... and planning to high tail it from CUS to MM.

I'll write up and post commentary while coming home on 30/44 to PHL.

Otto, unfortuantly i will not be wearing an approved identification lapel for others to distinguish me :-). But to those going: If you want to meetup for lunch, PM me to exchange email/cell #.
  by amtk136west

AMTK1007 wrote: Lets do our best as a community to show Mr Boardman and his traveling party ( and there are other heavy hitters coming)
Can you elaborate on some of the others that will be\plan to be in attendance.
  by amtk136west

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Incidentally, Mr. Philips considers Amrtak's amateur photography policies to be 'fair game".

Actually the Trains webpage announcing the event, which Otto quoted in his post lays out what is fair game:

http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=5979
Topics:
This meeting will be held on three issues of importance to railroad enthusiasts:

The photography policy

Locomotives and passenger cars

The future of the long-distance passenger train
So questions\comments should be limited to those subjects!

It also looks like they have their 300 people as registration is closed.
  by AMTK1007

amtk136west wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote: Lets do our best as a community to show Mr Boardman and his traveling party ( and there are other heavy hitters coming)
Can you elaborate on some of the others that will be\plan to be in attendance.
Unfortunately, I was not given permission to discuss publicly who would be there.
  by TREnecNYP

Just going to put some thoughts in here... Even today, i can and am allowed to take photographs of anything i feel like, aside from PATH's system in my travels between southeastern PA (bucks county) and northern NJ (hudson county). This includes but is not limited to: roads, bridges, airplanes, docks, rail yards, airports, the airtrain at KEWR, railroad platforms, rolling stock, automobiles, busses, taxis.... If for one minute amtrak thinks about not allowing people to photograph their stations, ROW, or equipment they should be ready for the flood of money wasting lawsuits that will absolutely follow. If NPRC wants to pretend it doesn't exist by banning serious photographers & railfans from photographing its property, why is it in the rail business at all?

- A
  by Otto Vondrak

TREnecNYP wrote:Just going to put some thoughts in here... Even today, i can and am allowed to take photographs of anything i feel like, aside from PATH's system in my travels between southeastern PA (bucks county) and northern NJ (hudson county). This includes but is not limited to: roads, bridges, airplanes, docks, rail yards, airports, the airtrain at KEWR, railroad platforms, rolling stock, automobiles, busses, taxis.... If for one minute amtrak thinks about not allowing people to photograph their stations, ROW, or equipment they should be ready for the flood of money wasting lawsuits that will absolutely follow. If NPRC wants to pretend it doesn't exist by banning serious photographers & railfans from photographing its property, why is it in the rail business at all?

- A
That's nice, but your rant is probably best directed towards the people who create the policy.
  by AMTK1007

Otto Vondrak wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:Just going to put some thoughts in here... Even today, i can and am allowed to take photographs of anything i feel like, aside from PATH's system in my travels between southeastern PA (bucks county) and northern NJ (hudson county). This includes but is not limited to: roads, bridges, airplanes, docks, rail yards, airports, the airtrain at KEWR, railroad platforms, rolling stock, automobiles, busses, taxis.... If for one minute amtrak thinks about not allowing people to photograph their stations, ROW, or equipment they should be ready for the flood of money wasting lawsuits that will absolutely follow. If NPRC wants to pretend it doesn't exist by banning serious photographers & railfans from photographing its property, why is it in the rail business at all?

- A
That's nice, but your rant is probably best directed towards the people who create the policy.
Otto, I agree with you, and I truely believe that these people are coming wanting to listen... But if the concerns are not presented in a constructive reasonable matter it won't matter one bit... this is why I stress to those going that they need to go in with an open mine and have well thought out questions prepared and presented in a reasonable manner