• Can anyone identify this part?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Vakharn

About 10 years ago there was an Alco S4 sitting at the end of a long abandoned stretch of track near where I used to live. At some point it was moved out by truck. While I didn't witness this myself I know it was by truck because of the fact that there are fairly large trees grown between the rails. This locomotive had been partially stripped before it was left there, the pistons and cylinder heads removed, as well as many other parts. I happened to be in the area this past weekend and went to see if anything had been left behind when they removed the locomotive. At first I didn't think anything had, but I found a large part stuck under some ties which I think were used in the process of lifting the locomotive onto the truck. I've attached a photo of it. I'd like to know if anyone knows what this part may be, or even if it was from that Alco. The place the locomotive used to be has been used as a dumping place, and there were a couple of old appliances, car batteries, and other junk lying around so it's possible this isn't from the locomotive. However going by the scale of the part and the fact that it appears to have a lubrication connection on one side leads me to believe that it is from the S4. The part weighs about 40 pounds and I included a quarter in the photos for scale.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7816/alcopart1.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/52/alcopart2.jpg

So, any idea what this part might be? Is it from an Alco, or is it just some random peice of junk someone dumped there?
  by DutchRailnut

Looks more like old switch rod type part to me.
  by bml1149

This part is a push rod lifter. It does indeed fit the S-4 Alco. The rollers ride on the camshaft and the pushrods for the valves are held in the pockets. This part was located behind a cover on the engineer's side of the engine. Alco part number 5245-A.
Leverett Fernald
  by Vakharn

Wow, thank you for the information BML. From the pictures, do you think it's in good enough condition to be of any use to a group who has restored/is restoring an Alco S-4 as a spare part? Or are the years it spent out in the weather likely to have damaged it too much for it to be of any use? I would be happy to donate it to a restoration group who needs it if it would be of any use, but given how long it spent outside exposed to the elements I'm kind of doubtful that it would.
  by bml1149

From what I can see from the picture, it looks like the rollers may be no good, but the levers may still be usable. I'd hang on to it for a spare part if I had an Alco.