• Current status of Newburyport line Wakefield to Danvers?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by StefanW

Since I had to pass through the Wakefield / Lynnfield area tonight I decided to check out what's left of the old Newburyport line and I was shocked to find the Summer St. crossing in Lynnfield paved over! (Put "135 Summer St Lynnfield, MA" into MapQuest for a map.)

After seeing that crossing obliterated I drove around to all the other crossings I could find, from Wakefield Jct. to Danvers Jct., and everywhere else rails look like they are in good shape and could still see trains even now.

I thought the line was just "out of service" but it's looking abandoned to me. Wasn't this segment being considered for a commuter rail extension, or am I confusing it with the Salem-Peabody-Danvers proposal?
I hope the paving over of a crossing doesn't mean the MBTA is looking at abandonment.
  by GP40MC1118

The Newburyport Industrial Track from Wakefield Jct and beyond has been out of service and embargoed by Guilford for probably two years now. The MBTA uses the Wakefield Jct extreme end for MW storage and the like.

Dave

by NealG

Does the MBTA or Guilford own the line?

by 130MM

NealG wrote:Does the MBTA or Guilford own the line?
The MBTA owns the line. And in Wakefield there is a movement to convert it to a bike path.