• Evergreen Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by LRail

I know that in 1989 the LIST fantrip attempted to enter the remains of the branch. Does anyone know when the last freight move was made or have photos from that fantrip or anything else from the '80s? -Lee
  by LRail

Yeah, I had already seen that site. I was looking for photos of the Evergreen Lead.
  by Teutobergerwald

Wasn't this a Penn Central/Conrail served branch?
  by LRail

When was the absolute last move onto the spur?
  by BobLI

Branch was abandoned before penn central/conrail era.
  by dukeoq

LRail wrote:I know that in 1989 the LIST fantrip attempted to enter the remains of the branch. Does anyone know when the last freight move was made or have photos from that fantrip or anything else from the '80s? -Lee

Lee, you might be thinking about the caboose trip in 1989. If that's the one, we didn't try to get into Evergreen but Degnon.
PC/CR served "Evergreen" when they would bring interchange cars to Fremont. The road engines were left at Fremont and a 1500 eng went to what they called Evergreen. When I asked if they had so much work down there, I was told that they called everything from Fremont to Bay Ridge "Evergreen"
  by Teutobergerwald

I saw a picture once on here of a Penn Central train crossing over the N Line at 31 St. in Astoria, headed for Fresh Pond. As I recall, there were at least two, maybe three road units and a SW-1500 as the power. I think there was a caption that explained the presence of the SW-1500 in the consist as the power for the PC local that would switch the customers on the Evergreen and Bay Ridge branches. Bernie Ente may have been the photographer, and he's got some great work to show for his time trackside over the years.
  by dukeoq

Like I said. When PC & CR did the work, they called everything "Evergree" In 1985, LIRR took the branch back and I worked it a few times as conductor and I don't believe there was a switch into the original Evergreen. Smething else was new at that time was the cross-over from the new Linden yard onto the Canarsie line. The whole branch at that time was classified as yard track where before PC it was road territory with manual block rules from Fremont to NU block.