• Keeping a Steady Shot

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by SEPTAR3kid

I've noticed that whenever I take my tripod and camera down to the Northeast Corridor, I have a hard time keeping the video steady and always end up with a ton of shaking. Does anyone have any tips for keeping tripods steady when railfanning high speed trains? Any tripod recommendations?

Here's an example of what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakAwDg6Ji8

You can see a lot of the shots tend to bounce up and down a bit.
  by EMTRailfan

I'm not claiming to be a videographer of any sort, but:

You are using a tripod. That wins in my book anyway. Some of the freehand videos that I have seen are terrible. Almost makes you seasick.

As far as the shaking, not sure that there is much that you can do for that except maybe get some small pieces of the rubber flooring like cashiers stand on to put unter your tripod legs.

As far as keeping it steady from the wind blast, remember the bigger the sail, the more wind that is going to hit it. Try not telescoping the neck of your tripod if you can still get over what may be low, and if your camera has a strap, either remove it or wrap it up so it is not hanging and catching wind. If you have a hook under your tripod, try hanging your camera bag or whatever from it. Try to keep the leash as short as possible though, because the longer the leash, there more momentum the swinging that it does pick up from the wind it will have. However, hanging anything with any sustenance of weight will create more down pressure on your tripod, and make it a little more stable.