• NYC Calendar Art & Artists

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC_Dave

I’m interested in information on NYC calendar art and artists. I have a good handle on the early ones, but don’t have much on the later ones. Hopefully someone can fill in the missing years or correct ones that I have wrong. Also, were any calendars produced after 1954?
1922-24 William Harnden Foster
1925-31 Walter Greene
1942-47 Leslie Ragan
1948 ?
1949 Helck
1950-53 ?
1954 Gould
  by terminalfanatic

I have a NYC calender dated December 1953 with Leslie Ragan written in the lower right corner, if that helps.
  by NYC_Dave

Every bit of information helps. Thank you very much!
  by erie2937

You will find pics of NYC calendars, the early ones and the post-WWII issues, in Staufer's NYC Power books and in his Thoroughbreds. I have at half a dozen that I had framed professionally. They are without the date pages. If you want only the art work for framing purposes I would advise against paying a premium for a calendar with date pages. NYC issued none after 1954 that I have ever seen.

The same artists also produced art work for print ads and for advertising posters. Original posters, not repros, are very rare and very expensive. They were printed on cheap paper and were not intended to be kept for very long and were discarded whenever the marketing people issued a new poster.

Hugh T. Guillaume