• Shooting RAW on the cheap Canon PowerShot cameras

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by mattl

This is not designed to be a replacement for the DSLR camera, but if you are comfortable using a cheaper (mine was about $75) Canon consumer level camera, but would like to shoot RAW images instead of the typical JPEG image, then this is for you.

It has become clear to the people who tinker with such things, that the hardware of the Canon cameras does not vary much between models, whereas the available features often change dramatically with price. Therefore, it seems clear that Canon is deliberately 'hobbling' its cameras to sell higher priced cameras with more features. This is the opposite of a feature, and has been deemed as an 'anti-feature'.

This is the guide on what I did to get started.

- My camera is the SD1100, and I have a 4gb Kingston SDHC card.
- My laptop has a built in SD-card reader -- if you don't have one, they can be found for a few dollars and are a huge improvement over a USB transfer cable.

The installation procedure involves knowing a couple of things about your camera -- the model number, usually written on the front, on the box and all over the manual -- and the firmware number. To get the firmware number, create an empty file on the SD card called ver.req (if the following steps don't work, try again with vers.req) that's VER.REQ -- with this file in your SD card, plug it back into your camera, slide the mode change into Playback and turn the camera on, then press 'Func Set' and 'Disp' at the same time -- your firmware version will be shown on screen.

With this information, head over to http://mighty-hoernsche.de/ and download the required version of the software.
Code: Select all
s2is-100e-0.9.9-865-full_BETA.zip
  |    |    |    |    |    |
  |    |    |    |    |    +-- optional: BETA means: port is in beta state, some minor features may not work
  |    |    |    |    +------- optional: package type, full means: complete package incl. lang files, fonts  etc.
  |    |    |    +------------ SVN trunk version, the development build number (automatically set)
  |    |    +----------------- CHDK version number (manually set)
  |    +---------------------- firmware version
  +--------------------------- camera model
Going to leave this here. For the impatient, the guide I waded through is here -- http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads

If this proves useful to anyone, or anyone has any further interest, reply and I'll do some more work on this guide. It can be fiddly to get up and running, but once you're done, it's very rewarding.