• Unions and Unionism

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

This topic could apply to the NYC, PRR and other Fallen Flags as well, but I’ve decided to post this on my “parent railroad”.

In my recent research I have come across some annotation on the Outlaw Strike of 1920. This strike had an impact of the New Haven as well as other railroads on the East Coast and Midwest. Eventually a far more reaching strike would occur in 1922. It would be interesting to discuss the development of unions on the railroads and their influence. What unions were representative of New Haven employees and what did these organizations achieve. Comments and thoughts from former employees would be great, since many of us may have knowledge of locomotive and timetables, but little background on this history.
  by MJRuef

You raise a very broad subject. Essentially, you ask what the history of labor relations was on the NH. All of the crafts there were organized along the same lines that applied across the national rail system. I believe that they participated in what was known as industrywide bargaining, where they were represented in negotiations by a professional bargaining agent, and handled contract interpretation and discipline challenges with their own labor relations professionals. The Agreements they worked under were mostly evolved from the standardized wages and rules that had been promulgated by the USRA and applied to all US carriers during the period of federal control during and briefly following WW I. During the 45 year period between the end of federal control and the beginning of the eastern merger movement, these standardized agreements began to evolve separately with subtle differences between carriers, but the wage rates and major features remained, for the most part, uniform amongst the different carriers. This is why, when the PC and CR mergers took place, there was a lot of disagreement between the General Committees (and, in the shanty, between the employees) of the merging railroads as to who had the "best agreement." I hope that this answersyour question or will help you to articulate a more specific question about this subject, if you have one. It is a very interesting side of the rail industry that is not generally talked about by enthusiasts, but it is very interesting and can provide a valuable portal for further understanding the industry and its history.
  by CannaScrews

There was also a lot of organisational activity before the USRA dating back to the 1880s with the various Brotherhood organizations - Locomotive Engineers, Firemen, etc.

I believe the Locomotive Firemens Magazine in 1891 was editorialized by Eugene V Debs - a noted labour activist and firebrand. So the seeds of the 1920 strike most likely were planted during this era since it would take that long to get organized enough. [IMHO].

Also, during that and the next decade, "muckraking" became a favourite tool for the press and publicised the plight of labour and other ills of society.

The other piece to the puzzle is the founding of the ICC in 1888[?] and the hours-of-service laws, stoker requirements etc generated over the early years.

You can probably create a great doctoral dissertation in this rich subject, so I feel that some interesting things may be unearthed on this thread.

Keeping it to the New Haven and its predecessors and successors would probably not materially affect the discussion too much.

The one unique topic pertaining to the New Haven and PENN CENTRAL is the 'swing' crew/brakemen needed on the New York portion of the Maybrook Line.
  by QB 52.32

I believe that the swing brakeman requirement was due to NY state law and not labor agreements. IIRC, NY law continued to require a full crew (five at the time) right up until the late '70's/early '80's.
  by chnhrr

For rail history buffs here a few interesting articles from the Archives of the New York Times. In one article the “Big Four” Brotherhoods are mentioned, but only the International Brotherhood of Railroad Workers is noted. What were other three? There is also the mention of the United Association of Railway Employees of North America and the American Federation of Railroad Workers. Besides by trade, it’s unclear to me how these union organizations became assigned to each railroad.

New Haven Yardmen Strike 1901

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946097D6CF

Replacement workers attacked at Oak Point and Mott Haven 1920

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 838B639EDE

The strike of 1920 nears the end, NYC, NY Connecting Railroad resume service. New Haven workers from Harlem Yard plead with NYC Mott Haven crews to continue with strike.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 838B639EDE

“Outlaw” strike opposition faces “Big Four”. Many workers who participated in the 1920 strike do not get rehired.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 838A639EDE

State governors and truckers get ready for impending strike of 1922 *

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 838A639EDE

*also know as the Railroad Shopmen’s Strike