• NYC Station Numbers

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by pablo

I was trying to find information about the DAVPRR when I came across a list of customers for the line. This list included station numbers for the stations that were there, something I hadn't noticed before.

Is there a list someplace of the station numbers for the entirety of the NYC, or was this something unique because the DAVP was a "leased" line?

Dave Becker
  by Noel Weaver

Every station had a number. Unfortunately, the book is home in Florida and I am presently in New York State so I can't help you right now. These books generally listed every
station on the railroad and what it had for facilities and what kind of service was provided there. Different railroads listed their stations in a different fashion and I do not have
very many station lists but I am pretty sure I do have an old one for the New York Central if somebody else on here can't help you in the meantime.
Noel Weaver
  by R Paul Carey

I have a list of NYC Stations - these come up occasionally on Ebay.

If you want to know the name or number of a particular station, please send a private message and I'll be happy to look it up for you.
  by pablo

Okay. I can do that. It would essentially be all of the DAVP stations (one that comes to mind is #7305), and I'll be eager to know what sort of information.

Finding a track chart for the line south out of Youngville to Titusville has proven difficult.

Dave Becker
  by R Paul Carey

As of November 1, 1925, the Valley Branch (Erie Division, Dunkirk-Titusville) stations were numbered as follows:
"LP 0" (Dunkirk) through "LP90" (Titusville).

In later years, NYC station lists were restated to an all-numeric format. If I can find a later list, I'll advise.
  by pablo

Thank you for that.

The next question, of course, is twofold:

1. I'm interested specifically in what existed between Youngsville and Titusville. Is there a way to get the information about those?

2. Is there some sort of map available that anyone has seen to "plot" these stations?

Thanks to any and all in advance.

Dave Becker
  by Otto Vondrak

I have a couple of station lists, one from the 1920s, one from the 1930s. If I can help, let me know.

-otto-
  by DanH

Are you still looking for station numbers I have April 1, 1961.Titusville is on the Lake Division, Valley Branch #11090 the other end is Dunkirk #10476.

Dan
  by erie2937

The station numbers were used for car routing/accounting purposes. Employee timetables do not include the numbers but a freight conductor would have used a station number list to complete his paperwork. As far as I know, the numbers assigned have no relationship to the milepost at which a station was located. And as an aside, most stations and all interlocking facilities had an office call, usually two letters, sometimes only one letter, that was used by the employees communicating by telegraph. Employee timetables do indictae the office call. H.T. Guillaume
  by ChiefTroll

The Ulster and Delaware, until it was taken over by the NYC in 1932, showed a station number in the Employes Time Table, along with telegraph office calls and open hours, on pages separate from the schedule pages. The schedule pages showed the station milepost to the nearest mile and tenth. The station numbers corresponded to the nearest milepost on either side of the station, measured from Kingston Point. The Kaaterskill and Hunter Branch stations carried a prefix of A with the station numbers, measured from Phoenicia.

That practice of showing station numbers in the time table ended with New York Central ownership, but the Catskill Mountain Branch crews still referred to the stations by their U&D numbers right to the end of service on the branch. When they switched out their train in station order at West Hurley, the conductor chalked the destination station number on each car to make the switching easier. Stamford was 74, Hobart was 78, and Oneonta was 106, for instance.

I believe the U&D, being a fairly simple operation, used these station numbers on conductor's wheel reports and for car movement accounting. The NYC, being much more complex, published a list of station numbers, listed by branch or subdivision, to be used by agents and conductors to account for car movements. They were larger numbers, five digits if I remember correctly, and they did not correspond with mile posts. The list was published by the Auditor of Freight Revenue for the use of conductors, agents and accountants.

There was also a nationwide tariff, the Official List of Open and Prepay Stations, called "Leland's Tariff" after the name of the issuing agent, that showed a number for every railroad station in the U.S., along with an official number for each railroad company (NYCRR was 540). I think the station numbers in Leland's Tariff did not correspond with the numbers used internally by the NYCRR accounting department.

If someone has copy of a NYC Conductor's Wheel Report, the Accounting Department station list and Leland's Tariff, they could give us a definite report on whether the numbers correspond. Those are a few items that slipped by this packrat in ages past.

Gordon Davids
  by DanH

Cheiftrolls stations according to List of Station Numbers And Junction Points, April 1, 1961 issued by Auditor Of Car Accounts Buffalo,N.Y. Stamford is 88071, Hobart is 88075, Oneonta is 88104.
  by ChiefTroll

"Stamford is 88071, Hobart is 88075, Oneonta is 88104." In this case, the last three digits correspond with the actual distance from the West Shore crossing at Kingston, and not the mileposts. The mileposts (and older U&D station numbers) represented miles from Kingston Point. I was wrong with the U&D number for Oneonta - it was 107.