• Dropping the CNE name-- when?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Allen Hazen

My impression is that new Haven public timetables (and other documents?) continued to refer to the CNE (with "and Central New England lines" in slightly smaller print beneath the titel "New Haven Railroad" long after the CNE ceased to be an independent organiation. When and how did this end? Was the CNE finally abolished-- in name-- as part of the reorganization after the first bankruptcy?
  by Ridgefielder

Per Wikipedia (ok, not the most reliable of sources but it jibes with what I recall seeing elsewhere), the Central New England Railway was formally merged into the NYNH&H on January 1, 1927. I'd guess that the dissappearance of the name from public timetables would date from then.

Oddly enough, the Hartford & Connecticut Western, a CNE predecessor, seems to have survived as a "paper railroad" (a la the New-York & Harlem) until the 1947 reorganization of the New Haven.
  by Allen Hazen

Thanks, Ridgefielder. I didn't realize the CNE name was dropped that early, but can't think of any good reason why it would have been kept in use after the formal merger.