• Does NYS&W still operate the F-45's?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Legio X

Does NYS&W still operate the F-45's that came with the SD-45's from BN back in the '80's?

by SRS125

I don't think they are runing any. I saw one in Utica this past Summer and it looked a little weather beaten.

by cjvrr

They only have one left, stored out of service in Utica. There have been rumors that it will be reactivated. Three of the four other SD-45's have been brought back to service. The fourth became a parts and body donor. The F-45 supposedly has a bad crankshaft.

The other F-45 was sold to Montana Rail Link, was rebuilt and placed back into daily service on that line.

by emd_SD_60

:(

by NYSW3614

Hey CV- it is my understanding that that only 2 SD45s are back in service (18,34) and that 14 remains in storage. Has 14 been re-activated? Thanks!

by cjvrr

Joshua,

You are correct, only 2-45's are back in service. The 3614 has a bunch of parts missing :-(

Chris

by SRS125

I wonder why the Q never baught any of the Wisconson Central SD45's that CN has completeley retired for use or parts supply?

by trainfreak

Rumor has it that the F45 #3636 is "close" to being ready to go.

by The Man

Jeff:

I took a look at the 3636 for a guy who wanted to make a deal with NYS&W for it and I can tell you as of August it was far from ready to go. It did have a bad crank and was missing more parts than some engines I have seen go to the junk yard.

JJ

by AmtrakFan

CN still has some SD45's left.

John

by ANDY117

Is there any way to model the 3636 in HO?

by SRS125

I think Athern made an F45 in HO it could be possable to get black and welloy paint along with some micro scale letters and numbers to make the 3636.

by ANDY117

Did it ever get ditch lights? or was it taken off the road before that law came into effect?

by SRS125

I have a pic of it I'll have to find it. Nice thing is my camera puts the date on the photos as well.

by NYSW3614

Pretty sure 3636 got the lights but don't quote me on that.

Joshua