• DSLR Batteries

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by maguire54

Hi,

I have a Nikon D80 and would like to buy a back-up battery. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket specialty batteries. I can get one for
1/3 - 1/2 of what the Nikon branded EN-EL3e is selling for

Thanks
  by Chessie GM50

my honest suggestion would be to stick with nikon manufactured batteries. The reason is that just like how 3rd party lens manufactures reverse-engineer the lens components of nikon lenses, the battery makers (Impact. etc...) reverse engineer the batteries. And just like how 3rd party lenses have a higher malfunction rate, because of that, the same thing happens to the batteries. Except, a lens malfunctioning is nothing worse than AF being messed up, or the body not metering correctly. In a battery, it could range, and has ranged from it not charging, to exploding.
  by RailBus63

I agree with the previous poster - if it were me and my off-brand backup battery crapped out while I was on a trip, I would certainly regret not spending a few more dollars on a Nikon battery.
  by maguire54

that seems to be the consensus. thanks, much for the replies
  by stephenmorphey

Thanks for the replies, I was also in the same dilemma, which is solved now.
  by Cadguru

I use CTA batteries along with my Manuf. batteries in my DSLR's without issue.