• What was the gauge of the Towson and Cockeysville Electric?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by BaltOhio

I believe it was standard. It had no track connection with the UR&E in Towson. Presumably, however, there was a connection with the Northern Central at Timonium.
  by BaltOhio

I'll still hold out for standard, although I can't prove it. During a repaving project a couple of years ago at Chesapeake & Washington, near the Courthouse, a rail on the T&C curve from Chesapeake into Washington was exposed, and there was clearly no connection with the city line. The UR&E turned east from Washington onto Chesapeake, the T&C turned south onto Washington from Chesapeake, and the twain didn't touch. As you probably know, the T&C had an off-street terminal on the east side of Washington where the later Jeffersonian Building now stands. In any event, there was no reason to adopt the UR&E gauge since the T&C didn't connect and never had any intention of running through on the UR&E. I vaguely recall that the PRR helped a bit to support this outfit, since, erratic as it was, it was the Pennsy's link to the county seat. You might try tracking down publications of the carbuilder, which I think was Edison-Beach.