• 3(1) hit s Truck in Cicero, IL

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

Train 3(1) hit a truck at the West end of BNSF Cicero, IL Yard they lost the Cab Signals. The Power was 62-87-144. The Drive sadly died at the Hopstial.

AmtrakFan

by Robert Paniagua

Oh no, that's terrible for the family of the truck operator. My condolences out for them.

Any Superliners damaged in this latest crash?

by Gilbert B Norman

Well that explains why there was "no action" to view on my afternoon walk yesterday, and that the METRA public address system was announcing delays of WB trains account "speed restrictions'.

by RMadisonWI

A news article says that they were commiting theft of auto parts at the time of the incident.

by Gilbert B Norman

Likely Mr. Paniagua was unaware of the facts reported here, but now possibly may wish to modify his statement.

It is very difficult to have any sympathy whatever for these folks; this not a "Darwin Award" situation.

Also, I note the reporter's inference that the terms burglary and robbery are synonomous. I defer to anyone here with law enforcement credentials to distinguish between the two.

by LI Loco

Mr. Norman -
Even though the driver who died in the accident may have been engaged in a criminal act, there is no reason not to express sympathy for his family. The victim, even though he obviously had his faults, was probably loved by those people and they are now experiencing grief over this sudden loss.

Unfortunately, people do dumb things - even criminal acts - and are oblivious to the pain they can cause the people who love them. Families of train-related accident victims deserve sympathy regardless of the circumstances because the pain they feel is the same and it is real.[/b]

by AmtrakFan

David Telesha wrote:Any details??

Cab signals, AFAIK, don't have anything to do with crossings.
No nothing derailed thankfully just hit something have made up an 1/2 Hour last I heard. Yes they were steal an auto parts place.

AmtrakFan

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Norman,
I agree with you can not have symothie for the family involved this is how stupid this was. But this not a Darwin Award situation. Mr. Paniagua their were no Superliners lost nothing derailed let's not jump to conculsions.

John

by Joe

The guy who died had his leg cut off by the train, and he later died in the hospital. They had driven their truck along the tracks and were trying to steal auto parts from a trackside junkyard. I know where this is from the footage shown on the ABC7 news, pretty unmistakable place...racks upon racks of old engines lined up by the tracks.
I wonder how fast the train was moving when it hit the truck and I wonder who had to go back and find the two guys.

by 7 Train

I'm assuming that scrapyard was a "chopshop"-a place dealing in stolen vehicle parts.

by Robert Paniagua

Mr. Paniagua their were no Superliners lost nothing derailed let's not jump to conculsions.

Good, glad no such units were damaged, we had too many of those doomed.

As for GBN, I wasn't even aware that this guy was a burglar after all, and he was stupid to run into the tracks and to the path of this oncoming train. Maybe he should have just surrendered right then and there and get caught.

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr 7 Train--

The auto salvage business is a licensed "chopshop'; or a perfectly lawful business.

There is no law whatever against a dealer buying totaled autos from an insurance company, thence stripping and reselling parts. For those who don't trade in the Bennie Caddy or Lex every two years, such shops are often the only source for so called "crash parts".

I have noted it there myself on my regular trips into "town'.