• Intrastate Shore Operations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by BlockLine_4111

tristateTom -

Convenience here means minimal or no use of your car to get to the train and the ease of chaning trains in a clean and safe locality (i.e. Secaucus Transfer). Minimal seat ride orgin to destination and vice versa.

My idea of building an elevatated connector is far fetched as you probably concurred.

by Ken W2KB

Could accomplish the same thing a lot cheaper adding maybe 5 minutes to the trip by simply putting in a pocket track connector between the Harrison PATH station and the tower. Using push-pull equipment the crew would simply change ends and off the beach we go.

by MickD

I'd like to see at least the "local" Amtrak trains stop as Secaucus.I travel to Bergen County quite a bit from Boston&to transfer at SJ doesn't make
the trip any easier.I generally get the late morning train from South station that if it's on time gets me into NYC at the beginning of rush hour.To make the 2 connections needed to get on BC or ML doesn't save you any time.You have to make 2 tranfers anyway.Plus if you go to Hoboken via Path from NWK or NYC you generally can be guaranteed a seat on NJT trains on either line.It's too bad NJT Transit cut those BC Shore trains out.I think the lack of options once you got to shore really hurt though.Outside of Point Pleasant there really weren't any other than cabs.

by nick11a

I think direct trains to the NJCL would be a good idea for people on the M&E and M/B trains becuase it is relatively a straight path (except for the M&E though.) But, I don't think this will fly.

What should and what easily could be done is to have easy transfers for people going to the shore from all other lines. But this too I doubt will ever happen.

by Jtgshu

Could accomplish the same thing a lot cheaper adding maybe 5 minutes to the trip by simply putting in a pocket track connector between the Harrison PATH station and the tower. Using push-pull equipment the crew would simply change ends and off the beach we go.
There already is two of them.......Kearney Jct and the Waterfront Connection. There used to be a connection between teh M and E, the Center St. Branch and crossed over teh PATH and met up with the NEC in the area of Hudson tower. If Im not mistaken, this was the routing of the BCX trains because they were run before both Kearney Jct and the Waterfront were built. There is only abuot a mile difference either way, and the above mentioned routings don't interfere with PATH, as would this new routing.

by transit383

If NJT were to institute a diesel train from Secaucus to Long Branch, is there some type of siding where it can be stored near Secaucus Transfer? The way I see this train running is that it deadheads out from the MMC or Harrison and goes to this siding. When the time comes for the designated Main/Berge connecting train, it pulls into Secaucus and loads and then goes to Bay Head. Kind of a two phase Bergen Shore Express, Phase 1 runs the M/B, Phase 2 on the NJCL. The reverse move would be simpler, with the train unloading and then deadheading back.

If NJT were really interested in one seat intrastate operations, a connecting track from the M/B to the NEC eastbound could have been built at Secaucus for these trains. The Secaucus Connection, if you will.

by Jtgshu

On the weekend, there is less train traffic, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have the diesel express pull east from Hudson yard, and simply sit at the station for say an hour or even less, while it waited for the train from downstairs to arrive. At when all those passegners would arrive, the train would load up and go.

On the return trip, all they would have to do is pull in to SEC, unload, switch ends, and run west to either Bay Head, Raritan, or Hudson yard to reverse back to MMC or whatever. They could be in and out of SEC within a matter of 10 minutes.

by transit383

Well, gas prices have officially hit $2.00 per gallon in central NJ. Saw the first gas station to hit the mark this morning. Might be worthwhile for NJT to seriously consider some type of seashore getaway train this summer. CNJ did it with the Mermaid Train due to high gas prices, and it was successful.

by Irish Chieftain

If NJT were to institute a diesel train from Secaucus to Long Branch, is there some type of siding where it can be stored near Secaucus Transfer?
Why introduce difficulties? Run it out of Hoboken—after all, that is where all of the trains passing through Secaucus on the lower level are headed anyway.

There are no sidings anywhere on the high line east of Swift. If you mean your train to leave from Secaucus' lower level and via the West End Wye, refer to the prior paragraph and the mention of the already-available connection at Hoboken.

by njt4172

transit383,

I doubt NJT will follow up with your extra shore train request, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask! They probably already have the shore schedule on paper so any changes would have to be made ASAP......