• Amtrak Cab Cars..

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

NJTACl4619 wrote:Does Amtrak run any more Cab control cars? I remember when the cabs would come down to AC!! Does anyone know if they are running and if so what line? any pictures?
Welcome Mr. NHTAC last I heard they were running on the Regional Shuttle Service. Sorry no Photos.

AmtrakFan

by transitteen

I know that Amtrak California uses cab cars, but that's more for the intercity rail trains. On the Capitol Corridor the locomotive is on the southern end and the cab car is on the northern end. Cab Car 6962 is also equipped with Wi-Fi access (wireless internet) with more cars (mainly Cafe Cars) to be equipped (since they are mid-consist) in the near future so it is available on the entire train. On the Cascades I don't recall a cab car, but I remember seeing a locomotive on both the front and rear of the train (facing as if it were pulling).

by RMadisonWI

Cascades trains use cabbages, or demotorized F40s (the same as found on various Midwest corridor trains, plus the Downeaster).

by CSX Conductor

hsr_fan wrote:Supposedly several ex-Metroliner cab control cars are being refurbished for Keystone service. Right now, I think the Springfield shuttles are the only trains using them.
Occasionally they can also be seen on "The Vermonter".

by hsr_fan

I should have realized that Amtrak has bilevel cab control cars for the Surfliners and the Bay Area trains. Also, the F40 NPCU "cabbages" are technically cab control cars. For some reason, I automatically thought of just the Metroliner MU cars.