• 1948 20th Century Limited

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by wizofis

Carl,

You seem to have gotten most of your questions answered, but here is my input. The Shore series mid-train club-lounge cars had the public toilet at the vestibule end according to the car diagram I have, so they would have run with the vestibule at the rear next to the dining car. The transcontinental sleeper service between the Santa Fe and the NYC started in 1946 with one 4-4-2 sleeper. In 1949, a second sleeper (originally a 10-5 but soon changed to a 10-6) was added. Until January 15,1954, the through cars ran on the Santa Fe Chief, and the service was protected by both Santa Fe and NYC cars, so you could see 20th Century Limited consists with all NYC cars, including the through cars. In January 1954, Santa Fe moved the through cars to the Super Chief and required that all the through cars be Santa Fe cars. So if you model a consist between 1948 and 1953, you can have a pure NYC color scheme!
  by clehman

wizofis - Thank you very much for the additional details. I will add it to my growing folder of information on the 1948 20th Century Limited. Carl
  by erie2937

According to the data found in the files of the late Bill Edson consists of 25/26 were as follows:

6/15/38:
1 RPO/Bag
1 Dorm Club
2 17 Roomette
2 10-5
2 Diner
3 4-4-2
1 13 DBR
1 DB/MR/OBS

9/17/48:
1 RPO/Bag
5 4-4-2
3 10-6
1 Lounge
1 Dorm/Kit
1 Full Diner
3 13 DBR
1 5DB/OBS

4/27/58:(combined Commodore+Century)
1 RPO/BAG
1 Bag/Dorm(stainless steel)
2 Coach(stainless steel)
3 22 Roomette
3 10-6
1 Lounge/Kitchen
1 Full Diner
1 4-4-2
3 12 DBR
1 5DB/OBS

I have consists for many other dates. These are three of the most important.

H.T. Guillaume
  by clehman

Mr. Guillaume - thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate it. I have always been interested in the consists of passenger trains, especially the NYCs. Now that I have an H.O. 1948 20th Century Limited set, I was even more interested in how many cars of each type were usually found in the train, and in what order. The information you provided is very helpful and answers my questions. Thanks again. Carl