• Does UP 844 Have MU Recepticle?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by shortlinerailroader

I was watching the "Extreme Trains" episode about the UP 844 and in one scene showing the rear of the tender there appeared to be an MU jumper cable plugged into it like on a diesel. Considering the wealth of Union Pacific, have they installed a device that allows the steam engine crew to basically MU the 844 to any diesel and control the diesel(s) from the 844, or is it just something else?
  by Allen Hazen

I don't know about 844, but it is certainly possible to design equipment allowing a steam locomotive to control following diesels through the multi-unit control lines. A "Trains" article in the 1970s about the Clinchfield's Christmas trains said that the ancient 4-6-0 used had been equipped with something in its cab that generated input for m-u lines, allowing it to control an assisting diesel (F7B at the time) as a booster unit. I got the impression from the article that the machinery had been locally designed and built.
  by Jtgshu

When the C&O 614 was running frequent excursions over NJT property in the late 90s, NJT installed a totally seperate standard control stand for the diesel, so the engineer could operate the diesel as well as the steamer from the same seat, as well as cab signals and ditch lights.

The equipment is still on the loco even though it is stored in PA.

I didn't notice any kind of similar set up on the 844 in the Extreme Trains episode though.
  by ATK

Because battery voltage (74VDC) is present in the 27 pin MU trainlines, creating a control box to control a diesel locomotive remotely (from say the cab of a steam locomotive) is very easy. The control box is used exclusively for propulsion and dynamic braking -- air brakes are still controled from the brake stand of the leading steam locomotive. Steam locomotives typically have 32VDC electrical systems, so this cannot be applied for use of controlling a diesel locomotive.

These diesel MU control boxes can typically be found only in "mainline" steamers, such as the two seen in the following links. Others that I believe also carry a diesel MU control box are SP&S 700 and NKP 765. The control box seems to be commonly mounted to the left of the brake stand, again as seen in the pictures.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=184424

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=145052

As most mainline steamers have also been modified with 26L brakes (what a shame!), I seem to recall one locomotive even had MU air capability although I don't remember which one. Being able to MU the air would allow the lead locomotive to apply, release or bail off the independant brake on the trailing locomotives.
  by WP 707

Yes...it DOES have a MU connector...

They need a B unit for dynamic braking

Here is a collage of photo's I took 2 weeks ago in Winnemucca:

by ex Budd man

I guess thats why they 'drag' DD-40X 6900 with them, for dynamic braking. Or maybe its PUSHING the 844 :wink: Yeah.... I can see that...... just keep up enough steam for the whistle........make the foamers happy :P
  by mrconductor55

Yep SP 4449 has this too. When it was on display, I noticed an MU Jumper cable between the two jumper cables. I then Asked Doyle Mcormac(the head cheese with the 4449) about it, and he told me its a little box in the cab (not a full control stand) and it was put on when 4449 was used on the American Freedom train. Notice it has a fred too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinc55/3781997982/
  by pennsy

Well, that certainly explains why the DD-40AX has no one in its cab.
  by Tommy Meehan

if the UP 844 and SP 4449 have MU cables does that mean they "MU" with a diesel? Technically I suppose not since they're utilizing a separate control stand?
  by BobLI

Instead of using the term MU should it be a "helper" engine control? Like the days of steam with 2 engines on the front, 1 helping the other. But then you can make the arguement that each helper engine had a crew in the cab in the steam days. Only 1 crew on this and its in the steam engine. Hmmmm,,, MU or Helper?
This could bring a new set of debates!!! (yikes).
  by Tommy Meehan

BobLI wrote:This could bring a new set of debates!!! (yikes).
It already has in a Yahoo Group. :-)

My thought was the locomotives ARE MU'd in the sense the lead engineer is controlling all power. Other people said, no, they're NOT MU'd because the locomotives are not "working in multiple" from a common control stand.

A retired UP engineer said that when he visited the cab of SP 4449 or UP 844 (I forget which) the diesel control stand was labeled, "Accompanying Power." That makes sense.