• New York Central 4

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jhdeasy

At http://www.aaprco.com , where I am the Webmaster, we received an inquiry from Joyce Lungstrom (joycelungstrom@yahoocom) about the current status of NYC office car 4.

"I don't know if you can assist me, but I am trying to locate a private car that my parents used to own. They saved several cars from the scrap yard in the 1960s and 1970s. But one car has disappeared and we would really like to find it. It is the New York Central Private Car 4. I've searched the web, to no avail. Do you have any good contacts that could help me find her?"

I hope some of you NYC experts may have some information to assist her.
  by George Ford

Saw number 4 on the B&A many times, Was used by W T Alexander a NYC official, nickname "Jack the Ripper". Jobs were usually lost after his visits. I made a model of the private car No 4 for my HO layout. Don't know where the car is today. George
  by DonPevsner

This car was parked in the yard on the BNSF main line (former AT&SF main line) at Winslow, Arizona on June 9, 2006. I saw it from the window of the eastbound AMTRAK "SOUTHWEST CHIEF". It looked good, and was in postwar NYC two-tone gray paint with white trim.
  by lbagg91833

ALL: Gotta be careful re reference to "STEEL BUSINESS CARS" that were originally NYCRR....acct they were renumbered several times over the years...I seem to recall that #4 was a rebuilt psgr car and assigned to JOHN NASH as VPO. After being 'humped' at FRONTIER [by accident], it went to BEECH GROVE and was repaired. WTA aka "THE OLD MAN".....10 gallon hat & racoon coat included.....lived on his car in SYRACUSE PSGR STA vs a home. I'd defer to 'old NYC GREYBEARDS' but I believe that CAR #6 was assigned to the GMGR at SYRACUSE----no doubt WALTER PETERS can advise us??? regds all...LARRY BAGGERLY