Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by braves

I heard that from sources that the G train would be extended to Church Av at all times starting in 2006 due to work being done along the Culver Viaduct along 9th St.

Is this rumor true.

by Majinvegeta

I hope so. that would be nice! :-)

by Guest

I was thinking that after this you might as well reopen bottom level Bergen St., then extend the V to Neptune Ave. (you gotta make it 3 or 4 tracks) & the G to Church Ave. & make the G run local while the F & V run express until Church Ave. and then the F runs peak rush hour express until Neptune then runs local to CI while the V runs local until the end

by Majinvegeta

i was thinking the reverse. Making the V express and the F local lol
:-)

by Guest

that's a good idea except I always put the F before the V

by Majinvegeta

ahh lol. it would be like the B/Q brighton line ! :-) either way i hope anyone goes local/express
  by Kamen Rider

just to clarify, that's on sunday.
  by Dylanchris73

It's about time G riders got someting good.
  by Kamen Rider

This is not exactly good. The MTA is rebulding the Culver Viaduct and that requires pulling tracks out of service. Smith-9th is going to be partly or fully closed for about 2 1/4 years.
  by Kamen Rider

the extention took place on sunday. it's going to church ave 24/7
  by railfan365

The MTA notice that the link refers to indicates that the G train extension to Church is for 4 years. I've read in this forum that it's indefinite - subject to ridership levels. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
  by Fan Railer

railfan365 wrote:The MTA notice that the link refers to indicates that the G train extension to Church is for 4 years. I've read in this forum that it's indefinite - subject to ridership levels. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
they tentatively put four years, until they restore the switch relay at smith/9th. however, if ridership improves and there is enough public support, it could be permanent.

i was on the G yesterday and got vids of it to church. on one of the many notices at the stations announcing the service change, people had wrote "THANK YOU MTA!" and on one notice, someone had crossed out the "4 years" and put "more". :P