• Engine/train service employees hired by NYC still working?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Tom Curtin

I read a news bulletin stating that the last passenger conductor hired by the PRR (in Dec. 67) is retiring this month. This got me wondering: are there any engine/train service employees hired as engine/ train service employees by the New York Central still in service?
  by DutchRailnut

MNCR has one New Haven guy in his 70's and one NYC guy in his 70's working as engineers, both have no plans to retire ;-)
  by Noel Weaver

I don't have an up to date Metro-North engineers' roster but I do have a 2009 Amtrak engineers' roster and according to that,
there are at least two engineers from the New Haven Railroad still working for Amtrak, one in New Haven and the other in
Rensselaer. There may be another but I am not sure about it.
I don't think there are any former NHRR engineers with CSX but there may be a couple of former New York Central engineers
working there.
I remember well one of the former New Haven engineers who is still working for Metro-North. I am not aware of any former
New York Central engineers still with them, Dutch, maybe you can PM this to me. I thought there were still two New Haven
engineers with Metro-North but I am not positive about that.
It hardly seems possible that it will be 12 years this coming fall for my retirement and 22 years this coming fall since my last
day with Metro-North.
I am aware of at least one former New York Central engineer still working for CSX in Selkirk and there may be one or two
more either there or in Buffalo or elsewhere in New York State.
Noel Weaver
  by Allen Hazen

Somebody, please, see if some of these men can't be persuaded to sit down with a tape recorder! I know some universities have "Oral History" projects, recording people who have lived through "interesting times," and I'm sure any train-service personnel who lived through New York Central, Penn Central, Conrail and ... would have stories to tell! ... Possibly stories they'd want to "embargo": let the library have the tape, but don't let anyone listen until....
  by DutchRailnut

Noel is correct , the people I mentioned are ex New Haven and Penn Central, on Metro North there are no engineers left, who were set up or hired while it was NYC.
  by Otto Vondrak

A friend of mine who held down the New Cannan "dink" hired on with the NYC in Rochester, NY, and later moved down to the Metropolitan Region to take a job with Metro-North. He retired three years ago, I think, one of the last "NYC" guys around, even though he didn't work down here when he started.
  by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:A friend of mine who held down the New Cannan "dink" hired on with the NYC in Rochester, NY, and later moved down to the Metropolitan Region to take a job with Metro-North. He retired three years ago, I think, one of the last "NYC" guys around, even though he didn't work down here when he started.
YES, I know him well.
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

Somewhat related, I was reading some early issues of the Conrail employee's newsletter, and I thought it was interesting how many former New York Central folks were in positions of power at the new Conrail. I'll fish out those names when I get home tonight, but I remember there were NYC people where it mattered: Sales, Operations, Mechanical, etc.

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

There were some very good management people who originally worked for the New York Central. It is a shame that the
Penn Central did not have more New York Central at the top in both the top management and in the operating department.
Noel Weaver