• LVRR trail by air-so easy

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Having two specatacular days in a row and after riding the path yesterday, I decided to fly over the trail and check it out.

I had to get my night currency updated so I flew to Dansville via the LVRR to Meldon then back to the Geneseo VOR and then south to Dansville. I actually picked up the LVRR at the quarry that precedes the Genesee River bridge and then continued east. The sun was very low in the sky and actually coming through the rear window of the plane. The "golden glow" was hard at work. I averaged about 1000 feet above the trail.

I checked my chart and I noticed an airport along the way but the railroad symbol has been deleted from the chart due to its abandonedment so I couldn't tell exactly where it was. As I'm cruising along at 125mph I didn't see anybody on the trail. But it wasn't lit very well with the low sun. Everything was gray on the ground. Past the 390 at two of the parking areas I did see cars parked. As I came upon the bridge just before Roch Jct something caught my eye. It was the markings of a runway. Then it hit me it was the airport on the chart. The airport is a private airport with the name of Skyview. Airport elevation is 840ft msl with an asphalt surface. I would say the airport is 1/4 mile west of Roch Jct on the south side. Can't see it from the rr. That was cool.

I circled the airport once to check it out. They are building a nice mansion on the property. There are a lot of nice mansions along the route. While I circled I had an aerial view of Roch Jct. I could see where the split was. After that I continued east. I crossed over the church in Rush and then when I got to Meldon I circled the church there and noticed a restuarant nearby as well. Then I headed back west direct to the Geneseo VOR and climbed into the sunset.

What a sunset. Visibility must have been more than 150 miles. I could see planes on the distant horizon is was so clear. I climbed to 2500feet. At the VOR I turned south and flew over the LA&L. Various cars were to be seen. Mostly the black corn syrup tankers. Several of them parked all the way up to the lake. When did the Maine Central locomotive get moved? I cruised out over the lake and then landed at Dansville a few minutes later. This time I went to Arby's instead of McD's.

Knowing the sky would be clear and below freezing I brought along my scrapper and snow brush. I knew frost would accumulate on the wings so I needed to be prepared. Wings don't work well even with frost. The frost disrupts the airflow over the wing and therefore it won't fly. I couldn't get the frost off the wing so I polished it smooth, set 10 degrees of flaps, used the longest runway and didn't rotate until 80 knots. Normal rotation is 60 knots. As I was taught, the frost sublimated off the wings during the trip home. My trip home was at 3000 feet with the Big Dipper in my view. It was so smooth I could let go of the controls and just let her fly on her own.

A nice night.

by nessman

Damn... I should have gone up with you after all.

Here's the airstrip you were talking about: http://www.airnav.com/airport/84NY
  by FarmallBob

SST wrote: What a sunset. Visibility must have been more than 150 miles. I could see planes on the distant horizon is was so clear. A nice night.
Would have enjoyed being along on THAT ride!!

My wife and I were in the area of LV/Greenway Jct just before dusk. Whatta sunset indeed! We counted no less than 15 jet contrails in the sky to the west – looked like so many orange comets. ...FB