• The End of Steam on New York Central.

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railfan365

Can anyone tell me when exactly NYC last ran a steam locomotive? In revenue service, and also for regular non-revenue service but not as part of a nostalgia activity? Perhaps I can be told when last they ran steam in New York, and when last they ran steam altogether? Thanks.
  by Ocala Mike

According to Wikipedia, the last steam in New York State was on 8/7/53. I personally remember "railfanning" the Harmon engine shops as a youngster in 1955, and it was all diesels then.

Ocala Mike
  by Noel Weaver

Steam was all done east of Cleveland in the US at least by late 1953. System wide the last steam ran sometime in 1957.
Noel Weaver
  by Roger Hensley

June 30, 1956. Last run of Niagara 6015 in passenger service, train no. 416, Indianapolis to Cincinnati on account of a diesel failure. Departed Indianapolis 34 minutes late, arrived Cincinnati 6 minutes late.
July 2, 1956. Returned to Indianapolis in freight service, train CC-3. Final run.

May 3, 1957 - Cincinnati OH
NYC 1977 2-8-2 H-7E The last engine to have the fire pulled on the NYC
  by rlsteam

Reportedly, some 2-8-0s remained in transfer service on the CASO till April 1957 and must have come into Black Rock in Buffalo. So maybe that qualifies as NYC steam east of Cleveland, in New York State.