Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JFB

Aha. Didn't see the correlation between the article and Lackawanna's post.

In that case, my rough estimate puts the 81-foot mark at about 1.2 inches above the third step leading from the platform at track 110. Give or take a little for tread wear, of course.

by CarterB

The original plans were for a concourse level for the H&M extension.
Was any of that ever built? If so, any remains?

by JFB

Nothing built. Plans called for an H&M terminal on 42nd St, sandwiched vertically between the IRT's "old main" (Lex & 42nd St Shuttle) and Steinway (7 train) lines. The terminal was to have a mezzanine at Park Ave & 42nd St, just south of GCT's Lower Level stubs, and a concourse at platform level, directly beneath the Lex Ave IRT station. Pedestrian access would've been via the street and the existing subway complex.

This page has some fascinating period diagrams of the proposed terminal--including one that places it on Madison Ave (a later proposal, maybe?). Scroll down until you find the Grand Central section.

by trainjunkies

All the feedback is much appreciated. Guess you have to know someone to see the places I would like to view. Probably is even more difficult given the security at GCT nowadays.

Does this mean the B horror flic "CHUD" wasn't historically accurate about GCT being built over an ancient Indian burrial cave? Just kiddin'.

by NJD8598

This may seem like a stupid question but could someone explain the loops that you were discussing earlier? I'm curious as to what their used for, and where they are? I was always under the impression that the tracks simply came in and split into the multiple platforms and stopped. When your train is going towards the lower level is there a specific track that you have to come in on or what? Any good books to recommend?

by dc700

NJD8598 wrote:This may seem like a stupid question but could someone explain the loops that you were discussing earlier? I'm curious as to what their used for, and where they are? I was always under the impression that the tracks simply came in and split into the multiple platforms and stopped. When your train is going towards the lower level is there a specific track that you have to come in on or what? Any good books to recommend?
A few tracks loop around to allow trains "end up facing out again". This
was much more important for trains that can not be driven from
either end.

On a side note the cure of the loop is rather tight. Early steel third rail
could not be bent to match it.

by oakpoint

While working as an engineer in Conrail service back in 1981-2 in Grand Central, I went down to the converter room. The elevator on the lower level was a few feet from where medical was. I remember going down I beleive to be 6 or 7 floors. The elevator opened right into the dynamo room which was quite large. It was a bit warm and noisy but exciting (pun) to see.

Also worked the loop tracks when coming into the terminal with FL-9's from the Danbury line.

I once had keys to the whole place including all entrances into the terminal, all floors upstairs and down, all gates and all rooms on both sides of upper and lower levels. :wink:

by NJD8598

Thanks for the explanation dc700.