• Peoria area F units and caboose

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by rowelll

In the Peoria area, Keokuk Junction has (or had) been running F units on the former TP&W west of Peoria. TP&W still has a caboose on the local to Morton, IL due to a long back up move required. Does anyone know what days of the week and/or time of the day the F units and/or the caboose are likely to be run?
  by Bartman-tn

The Fs typically work out of the Peoria end of the railroad.

You can generally find the train running west of Peoria to Good Hope and back on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, although light weeks can make it Tuesday/Thursday.

The train normally is around Good Hope about 3 to 4pm. It meets the train from Keokuk, swaps cars, and then returns eastward.
  by bn13814

Most of the storage cars have arrived the property so the days of large trains may be over until those same cars return to service. Until then, Mondays and Thursdays is when the KJRY runs its local west from Mapleton/Kolbe. After turning at Good Hope (or La Harpe), they might re-crew the train and make it back the same day, but usually the return trip is made on Tuesdays and Fridays. Transfer runs from Mapleton to East Peoria and return are common on Tuesdays and Fridays, though it can vary. BNSF has brought a coal train, C-NAMPKD, to KJRY about once a week for the past two months - usually on Friday or Saturday. Physical interchange may take place on Peoria's south side or along Rt. 29 on TZPR's Pekin double track main. The F-unit has been among the motors used to come fethc the train.

As for TP&W at Morton, I haven't seen a caboose on their local for several years. And unfortunately, train operations can occur any time, and only about once or twice a week. Come early fall, TP&W may handle some outbound canned pumpkin from Nestle so trains will run more frequently then.

DPJ
  by 4266

can anybody tell me if one of the Peoria F units is the PREX #1754? It could be in Peoria and Western colors or Keokuk Junction RR colors. The last photo I have seen was taken years ago when it was with the Algoma Central. I've been on a mission to find it because it appears in the music documentary "Festival Express" about a traveling rock festival through Canada in 1970. the festival featured Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, The Band, Buddy Guy and many others! The #1754 was at that time CN FP9A #6525 before the Algoma Central renumbered her. You wouldn't know it but she played an important role in Rock n Roll history!
  by 4266

My rrpicturearchives research skills must be getting rusty. i must've passed that set about ten times last night! I literally lost a nights sleep over this friggin picture!
Well now that I finally tracked her down... Does anybody know if she still runs? An old Memphis Buff magazine profile on the KJRY said that she was in the shop getting refurbished and painted in PWRY colors, but that was back in 08'!

I wonder if there's a rich ex-hippy in Silicon Valley who would be interested in preserving a piece of Rock n Roll History?! Or maybe the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? It would make a wonderful exhibit! I think the number change probably threw everyone off her trail.