• Current model CN power and snow shields

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by nydepot

Do any of the current EMD models (SD70, etc) have snow shields or did that practice go away with the older SD40-2, GP38-2, etc.? Thanks.

Charles
  by CN_Hogger

No snow shields on SD70's and up that I've seen.
  by trainiac

Some modern CN units DO have snow shields, but not the same as those used on second-generation EMD units. CN's SD70M-2's were retrofitted with new louvered dynamic brake intakes after the original screened intakes were found to ingest snow. The SD70ACe's operating in Australia have a similar modification--only for dust instead of snow.
  by lock4244

The SD75I's were all delivered without snow sheilds, and they still don't have any. However, they did install snow shields on at least one SD75I as a test shortly after delivery (they were similar to the ones on the GP40-2L's and SD40-2W's). They were removed and I only ever saw one so unit equipped (can't remember the unit number). The privatized CN probably couldn't justify the expense vs benefits or if snow was a problem they must have found another solution.