• NYC Cross Tie Date Nails

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC3001

When did the NYC stop the practice of using date nails in wooden cross ties? Also, were there any distinct features on their date nails that set them apart from other railroads?

Yours truly,

Ron
  by lvrr325

Seems to me in the 50s they went to a stamp on the end, into the wood. I used to know where there were some square head date nails in an NYC bridge. But I don't think there was anything particularly distinctive about them.
  by dansapo

NYC used a square head and square shank.They used the nails between 1910 to 1932.
  by lbagg91833

Just noted this query....Oldest NYCRR date nail I've found is '00' from a siding on the P&E RR west of INDPLS many yrs ago. SQUARE HEAD tho the '00' was stamped across the diagonal. I believe the practice of nailing ties was consistent with early tie-treatment to track the viability of CREOSOTE vs other treatments. regds [and good hunting]...LARRY BAGGERLY
  by Dieter

I have round-headed date nails from New York Central's Putnam Division, the dates were in the early 1940's. As far as differentiating them from other roads, all I can offer on that is, you can't tell the difference between these particular nails used by the New York Central and nails used in the same period by Canadian National.

D/
  by lbagg91833

Suspect that various companies mfgd date nails over the yrs and many RRs used them. I've seen various designs that were used by NYCRR & its leased lines----square shanks, round shanks, etc......no doubt from the predessor properties that NYC absorbed over the yrs. Big FOUR nails were different from LS&MC, and P&LE, MCRR, CASO, etc. Currently nails are far & few between, so any I locate are appreciated. Looked along the B/4 CINCI-INDPLS line a few weeks ago......just piles of scrap ties along the ROW...nails scarce!! regds all LARRY BAGGERLY