• ex PRR passenger equipment

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NJTRailfan

I would like to know which cars that were ex PRR came over to Amtrak. I'm looking for name cars in particular that ran on the Senator between NYP and Union in DC.

Also where can I find a list of PRR's and other railroad's name cars (cars named after people and places,etc) that did make it to amtrak

I heard that the squared PRR obs car that ran on the Senator named Ben Frankiln and I think there was one named after George Washington that did make it over to Amtrak.

Thanks in advance
  by John_Perkowski

Wayner, Robert J. Amtrak Car Spotter. New York: By the Author, 1972.

_____. Amtrak Car Spotter (2d Edition). New York: By the Author, 1973.

Both are occassionally available on eBay.

Additionally, here is the link to the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society: http://www.prrths.com/

Question asked, an answer given.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Of the PRR cars built by Budd during 1952 and assigned to the Congressionals and the BOS-WAS Senator, most if not all of the Coaches and Parlors were acquired by Amtrak. I do not know the fate of the 2 48 seat single unit Diners assigned to the Senator, the 2 twin unit Diner-Kitchen Lounge sets, 2 Coffee Shop cars, 2 Day Drawing Room, or 4 Parlor Obs.

The publications noted by Col Perkowski will give considerably more information from factual sources than I have ability to recall from memory.

The principal other acquisition by Amtrak of ex-PRR equipment was of course the 62 Metroliner MU's.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by jhdeasy

Here is link to an October 2003 photo of one of the PRR twin unit diners, built by Budd for the Congressional or the Senator consists. The two cars immediately behind the locomotives are the x-PRR cars, currently owned by the Aberdeen, Carolina and Western shortline in North Carolina. I don't have the original PRR car numbers handy.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=40276
  by jhdeasy

Here are 2 other books that I recommend:

"Car Names Numbers and Consists", Robert J. Wayner, 1972, Wayner Publications

"Zephyrs, Chiefs & Other Orphans", Fred W. Frailey, 1977, RPC Publications

++++++++++++++++

The chair-lounge cars (1584-1599), lunch counter tavern lounge cars (1155 and 1156) and the 48 seat dining cars (4525 and 4526) assigned to The Senator had no names.

The parlor cars had names:
7138 BARON DEKALB
7139 HENRY HUDSON
7140 MILES STANDISH
7141 PAUL REVERE
7142 ROGER WILLIAMS
7144 NATHAN HALE

The parlor observation cars had names:
7126 BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
7127 MARTHA WASHINGTON

In addition, you should consider the equipment built for The Congressional, as cars from the two different trains surely found their way into each others' consists.

The Congressional had coach-lounge cars (1568-1583), lunch counter tavern lounge cars (1153 and 1154) and twin unit diner/lounge cars (4624-4627), with no names.

The seven room conference parlor cars had names:
7146 MATTHIAS W. BALDWIN
7147 THOMAS E. EDISON

The parlor cars had names:
7130 CASIMIR PULASKI
7131 GENERAL LAFAYETTE
7132 HENRY KNOX
7133 JOHN PRINTZ
7134 JOHN HOPKINS
7135 LEONARD CALVERT
7136 ROBERT MORRIS
7137 WILLIAM PENN
7143 MOLLY PITCHER
7145 BETSY ROSS

The parlor lounge observation cars had names:
7128 GEORGE WASHINGTON
7129 ALEXANDER HAMILTON

The majority of these cars remain in existence today, in the hands of various owners. For example, ALEXANDER HAMILTON is an Amtrak certified private car owned by the Morristown & Erie Railway.

by NJTRailfan

jhdeasy, This was what I was looking for. where did yo uget this list of cars? Do you have any more cars? I know PRR had alot more. I like some of these names and plan on adding them to my fleet of my Amtrak phase 3 Walthers herritage cars.

thanks

by Amtrak288

The 7135 - Leonard Calvert car is now owned by the Western NY Railway Historical Society (Which I am an active member of), the car was renamed "Francis J. McGrath" by the Society after one of the founding members of the group. Today it sits in full Pennsylvania RR Paint, you can find out more about the car by checking out the club's web site:

http://www.wnyrhs.com

by astrosa

If you have one of the Walthers Budd lounges, it's based on the PRR parlor cars mentioned above. The decal sheet that comes with the car includes most of those names (i.e. Henry Hudson, Miles Standish, Nathan Hale) although the car numbers they provide are incorrect. See my website for a partial list of the correct names/numbers of Amtrak Heritage cars. Note, however, that Amtrak rebuilt the ex-PRR parlor cars as lounges (and in the case of the Henry Hudson and another car, buffet-lounges) which meant blanking several of the windows.

Some of the ex-PRR Congressional coaches also received names in Amtrak's Adirondack service. Those are listed on my site as well, and decals are available from Microscale.

Also, a couple of corrections to the list above:

7134 should be JOHNS HOPKINS
7137 renamed to ANTHONY WAYNE

(According to equipment diagrams at http://prr.railfan.net)

by jhdeasy

NJTRailfan wrote:jhdeasy, This was what I was looking for. where did yo uget this list of cars? Do you have any more cars? I know PRR had alot more. I like some of these names and plan on adding them to my fleet of my Amtrak phase 3 Walthers herritage cars.

thanks

The list of PRR passenger cars assigned to the "Congressional" and "Senator" consists, which I posted, comes from one of the books I mentioned --> "Car Names, Numbers & Consists". I suggest you obtain a copy of this book and do some research on PRR lightweight passenger cars; in this book you will find many names that you can apply to your model railroad cars.