• Maybrook Line speeds

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Amtrak700

Just curious, what were the track speeds between hopewell and maybrook in the NH era, and then latter in the end (74). I used to work w/ a original Maybrook Conductor on the Poughkeepsie local (in conrail days) Jimmy Miller, and he used to tell me storys that they used to move on the Maybrook, i cant locate any TT's that have it in there, I would just be cool to know. Also, who dispatched the line, i assume it was ds'ed out of Springfield, Im probably wrong though, its all before my time! thanks guys! dave m.
  by Noel Weaver

Alpril 28, 1957, New Haven Railroad timetable no. 3 - speeds between Hopewell Junction and Berea (a little over 3 miles shy
of Maybrook) was 50 MPH for freight trains with the exception of the PO Bridge which was 12 MPH, between Highland and
the west end of the bridge for eastward trains was 20 MPH and there was a 40 MPH curve at Clintondale. West of Berea the
speed was 25 MPH and of course the yard was yard speed.
East of Hopewell Junction the freight speed was not higher than 40 MPH with various locations of less than that.
Jimmy Miller was right, they really moved along considering the type of railroad that they operated over.
Noel Weaver
  by Amtrak700

thanks noel, i had a feeling you would be the one to answer my question! dave