• "T" observations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 7 Train

Just got back from Boston today and had my first ride on Commuter Rail (Worcester/Framingham line) and on Orange, Green lines.

Some observations:

-On Commuter Rail, why is there at least one car on each train that is no open to passengers? (crew only)

-Why is there very limited service west of Framingham on commuter rail?

-Some of the Orange Line cars have severe rust, as well as the Type 7s. Are they carbon (LAHT) steel?

-The Orange Line stations have a unique warning chime that warnings riders of approaching trains.

-When entering stations, the 01200 cars do not have headlights on, but show red tail lights.

by jwhite07

-On Commuter Rail, why is there at least one car on each train that is no open to passengers? (crew only)
Off peak, some cars may be closed off according to demand and crew size. On peak trains all cars are required to be open.
-Why is there very limited service west of Framingham on commuter rail?
Aside from funding and equipment issues, that trackage is controlled by CSX, and they've been lukewarm to the prospect of operating more commuter service beyond Framingham. Service all the way to Worcester has only been offered for about ten years, and to be fair there have already been several increases in the number of trains operated, not to mention four new stations built between Framingham and Worcester.
-Some of the Orange Line cars have severe rust, as well as the Type 7s. Are they carbon (LAHT) steel?
I think, at least in the case of the Type 7s, they're corten steel. Not sure about the 01200s.
-The Orange Line stations have a unique warning chime that warnings riders of approaching trains.
Uhh, they do? That's news to me, and I'm a daily Orange Line rider. Are you sure you didn't overhear a train warning announcement from an adjacent Commuter Rail station on the Northeast Corridor?
-When entering stations, the 01200 cars do not have headlights on, but show red tail lights.
The headlights are very bright when lit, and there is no dimmer feature. Motormen usually extinguish the headlights before entering stations to avoid blinding people waiting on the platform. And yes, the markers are red no matter which direction the train is operating (except on the Green Line, where markers are green in front and red in rear, and the headlights are not shut off because they can be dimmed).

by MBTA1

a little off topic, but I have seen green line trains with red lights (marker) in the front, is this just a mechanical error?

by ctaman34

MBTA1 wrote:a little off topic, but I have seen green line trains with red lights (marker) in the front, is this just a mechanical error?
yes :-D