• New Direction for MARC?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

In the wake of the drastic service cuts to MARC service, a state delegate from Kensington is introducing three new bills concerning the funding and service levels for MARC.

Bumper to Bumper: Budget cuts hitting the MARC

I agree 50% of his suggestions, especially the part: "...MARC officials already had made up their minds about service cuts before the hearings to get public input even were held." I do not however agree that MARC should be"turned into a regional rail service similar to the Metro subway, which is governed by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority." He obviously doesn't understand the difference between heavy rail, and commuter rail. Plus, it is very surprising to hear a Maryland elected official say "Should it be like WMATA or should Maryland just call all the shots?." The idea that MARC would be run a consortium of states isn't even remotely plausible. The only downside of MARC being run by the MTA, is that the MTA is too focused on the Baltimore transit systems, and couldn't care less about MARC (and Commuter Bus) service into Washington DC.

I know that he's just looking out for his constituents, but maybe he should do some more in-depth research into how MARC actually operates.
Last edited by realtype on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by RailVet

Is it "MTA... could care less about MARC" or "could not care less about MARC." If it's the former, how will the MTA show less care?
  by realtype

RailVet wrote:Is it "MTA... could care less about MARC" or "could not care less about MARC." If it's the former, how will the MTA show less care?
ha ha. It's could not care less.
  by wilwel1024

When I used to commute from Dorsey to Camden, I felt that MARC service was oriented towards the needs of DC commuters. More trains went to DC in the morning, and more went from DC in the afternoon.
  by realtype

wilwel1024 wrote:When I used to commute from Dorsey to Camden, I felt that MARC service was oriented towards the needs of DC commuters. More trains went to DC in the morning, and more went from DC in the afternoon.
It is, for example Union Station is the terminus for all three lines and by far the busiest station, but that's why it's not receiving the attention it should, although that is starting to change. I reverse commute after connecting at Union Station by taking one of just three DC-Balt. morning trains to College Park, and only the first two cars are used since the number of riders is so low. (The Penn Line has hourly traffic, due in most part to BWI Airport)

Until recently the MARC service overall was neglected, while the MTA focused on the Baltimore services. Recently they have been focusing on MARC by introducing the excellent MARC Tracker system, fixing the station automated station announcements and LED displays, introducing a lightyears better e-mail/text message alert system, replacing the seats in the bilevels, introducing new Penn Line service, buying new locomotives, starting the Riders' Council, developing a Strategic Plan etc. However, small management issues such as close cooperation with District area transit systems, and lack of MTA personnel at Union Station, often present problems.
  by gprimr1

Running MARC like WMATA at this point doesn't even seem logical. DC Metro goes into Virginia, Maryland and DC, and makes a large number of stops in all 3. MARC basically makes 1 stop in DC, a few in West Virginia and the rest in Maryland.

The only way I would see something like that being needed is if MARC and VRE started running through trains, and/or if Delaware gets added to MARC.

I do agree though that MTA is primarily focused on Baltimore, but I mean that is kind of to be expected.

Has anyone ever given any thought to spinning the day to day operations of Baltimore transit into it's own group, overseen by the MTA?