• Interlocking between Melrose and Woodlawn

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by metroduff

Thank you VERY much Noel -

I am not sure on one point - when you describe track one, did it maybe have crossovers to and from 3, rather than 4?

if so, hypothetically, if I interpret this correctly, using railroad direction again,
an eastbound train on 4 could cross only as far as 2
an eastbound train on 2 could NOT cross to either 4 or 1
an eastbound train on 1 could cross to 2 or 3
a westbound train on 2 could cross to 1 or 4
a westbound train on 1 could cross only to 3
a westbound train on 3 could cross only as far as 1.

Anyone have any idea what this was used for - running around locals? track outages? was it operated in tandem with CP 112 for parallel moves?
  by Tom Curtin

Noel Weaver wrote: As for the closing of this signal station, the last timetable to show it open one trick a day five days a week (days M-F) was
timetable no. 11, April 29, 1962. After that BG was still shown as an interlocking in the employee timetables but with no
open hours until no. 17, April 25, 1965.
I went to Fordham Univ. 1963-1967 and I believe there were no crossovers there then. I vaguely remember the tower still standing there. What I do remember was a small yard, just a couple of tracks, on the track 4 side. The "traveling switcher" (which I guess was an NYC-ism for what's generically known as a "local freight") generally showed up there around 11 AM weekdays and tied up in the clear for lunch. Another railfan and I --- on a day when we had no class at the right time --- would sometimes hit a neighborhood deli then wander over to the track 4 yard and join the crew for lunch, and we were always warmly welcomed.