• Georgetown Loop - Colorado

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by oibu

Just trying to figure out what the story/status is with the Shays and GE U6Bs that are/were on the Georgetown Loop RR. Their current website says nothing about them... are they still there? in use? moved elsewhere?
ANyone know the ancestry ot the Shays (West Side Lumber?) or the U6Bs?

Thanks
  by Jerry Albers

It looks like no one has responded to your question about the Georgetown Loop. The former operators stopped operations in 2004. The Colorado State Historical society did not want to help out, so the operators, Lindsay and Rosa Ashby, pulled out their equipment and moved most of it to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden Colorado. The new operators have done a very poor job so far. As of this date neither of the two steam locomotives are operating. I understand they borrowed a diesel engine from the Sumpter Valley railroad and are currently using it. I went to work for the Ashbys in 1972 and helped start the railroad in Silver Plume in 1974. It saddens me to see it in the condition it is in. :(
  by b&m 1566

So what happened to the railroad, why did it close in 2004? The website looks great and from the video's I've seen on youtube the scenery looks amazing! When did the railroad re-open?
  by atsf sp

Well it isn't as great as it seems. I don't know if they got the steam engines running. I know 9 is sidelined and i don't know if 12 ever passed inspection. I went there over the summer and they just got there new diesel and were running their small center cab.