• Rayonier Speeder #21

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Cascade Northern

There is a railroad museum that I volunteer for and we have Rayonier Inc. speeder #21. As can be expected of what time will do to unmaintained equipment, the speeder is not in too good of a condition. There is a possiblity of it being restored, but I am unable to find photos through google of what the speeder has looked like through the years. Does anyone have any photos of Rayonier Inc. #21?

Here is a photo of what it looks like currently....

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong fourm.
  by Gadfly

"Speeder", eh? Just what is that, huh? Just as info, if you came out here to NS and called that "thing" a "speeder", you'll get a blank stare or get laughed off the property!!!! :-D That is a what WE called a MOTOR CAR! :-D Most of them were built by Fairmont, Model M-19, well known for their LOUD "putt-putt" motors, On our road, they were rebuilt at Charlotte, NC Roadway Shops, and we had a warehouse full of parts, motors, cabs, wheels and brake shoes--enough to completely overhaul and renew the company's motor cars. When they went to Chevrolet Hi-Rail trucks in the early 90's, we stored almost a hundred of them at our facility. They were up to bid, and we were amazed that people bought them two or three at a time, and wondered what the blazes people wanted with a silly MOTOR CAR, fer cryin' out loud!!! There was, at first, a hesitation to sell them for fear that someone would put them back in operation and get killed by operating them ON the railroad. I loaded them up by the trailerloads with a fork lift going to other roads AND rail buffs alike.

Anyway, if you want to be known as a "foamer" or a rail buff, call that thing a "speeder". If you want to make 'em think you know what you are talking about, call it a......................................MOTOR CAR!!!!! :-D :-D

Gadfly
  by BR&P

That would depend on where you are. Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh color codes, 1906. Formula E Gray paint was used on...."Signalmens' hand cars, push cars, speeders, tool boxes....." I am unable to put my hands on a lengthy report I have of a head-on on the LV involving two such vehicles, but think the word "speeder" was mentioned there as well. Conversely, on some railroads "Motor Car" referred to a self-propelled passenger car, such as Brill.
  by Cascade Northern

Gadfly, I have heard them called many things including motor cars. However for the railroad I work for, they are called speeders. If I was to call it a motor car, about 3/4 of my fellow railroaders would give me a blank stare. It just depends on where you live.... :wink:
  by Gadfly

A number of "motor cars" came in for repair in Charlotte, the victim of a headlight meet. One was stolen from a depot and was pretty well ruined by vandals who ran the car out across a field. When they ran out of room, allowing the car to go until there was no place else to go, they turned it around with the handles and and ran it back to the other end. They must have done this for hours without getting caught. :( The engine locked up (overheated), wheels were bent, and the fools did all they could to destroy it. Pure mischief. I saw several that went into the scrap gon due to collision or derailment.
The first thing we were instructed to do BEFORE unloading a motor car from a gon or box car was, check for torpedoes! Those things were notoriously unstable, especially after having been wet. These were removed and desposed of. One dummy I worked with, despite instructions not to, HIT one of the things with a hammer! It scared the bejeepers out of a whole bunch of us out in the yard. He didn't get hurt, but he got a real scolding (as he well should've)!He was sure lucky, too!

Btw, the nomenclature plate on the Fairmont cars said ---quote: Mfr: Fairmont. Model: M-19, Description: MOTOR CAR,
gasoline powered, Serial # ------". So I guess if it was good enough for Fairmont, the builder, the description was good enough for US :-D THAT'S why the word "speeder" would get a blank stare from NS/Southern employees. Around here, that word is a sure sign of a rail buff, not a worker!

Gadfly