• NEC "East End" Stations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Fred G

ryanov wrote:
hsr_fan wrote:The MBTA station in Mansfield, MA is also low level and in double track, 150 mph territory!
Just WOW. Would NOT want to be sitting there.
Why not? Here's what it's like on the platform at Kingston, RI:

http://www.transitgallery.com/showpic.p ... &pid=10858

and some photos of the station:
http://www.transitgallery.com/showalbum ... 17&uuid=74

by necuser

It used to be the case that Acela was not allowed greater than 130 mph through any curve, no matter how slight (so, for example, there was actually a 130 mph SR on one track between MP 162 and MP 170 because of a very slight curve that accommodated the high speed crossover).

However, if track speed is now 150 mph for 23 miles in RI, that must imply that Acela is no longer limited to 130 mph for very slight curves. I suppose this is good news, and it implies that if they installed constant tension catenary on certain sections of the Pennsy they could more than double the amount of 150 mph track.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i love standing next to Acela going that fast. the wind after the train goes by is amazing!! :-D

by timz

" if track speed is now 150 mph for 23 miles in RI, that must imply that Acela is no longer limited to 130 mph for very slight curves."

Well, you know how the timetable used to show speed limits-- first they list the maximum speed for the zone, from milepost so-and-so to so-and-so, and then below that they list the curve and other restrictions within that zone. I suspect the "150-mph zone" does include restrictions, but until somebody scans the relevant page nobody knows.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what is the MP's we are talking about, i'll go check the speeds in my book

by necuser

"I suspect the "150-mph zone" does include restrictions, but until somebody scans the relevant page nobody knows"

Yes, I'm sure it does. But the 130 mph SR for *any* curve meant that it was pointless to raise track speed to 150 mph except on very long stretches of tangent track (MP 162 to MP 170 and MP 195 to MP 205). So the fact that they've raised it for other sections of track indicate either that the 130 mph restriction for any curve has been lifted, or Amtrak doesn't intend for Acela to reach 150 on much of this track, but simply wants to give it a chance to get above 135 mph (e.g. it might slow to 130 for a curve, accelerate to 140 after the curve, and then slow back down to 130 again for the next curve...when track speed was only 135 this obviously would not have been possible).

by hsr_fan

Fred G wrote:Why not? Here's what it's like on the platform at Kingston, RI:

http://www.transitgallery.com/showpic.p ... &pid=10858
Cool video clip! That does look a bit faster than what I'm used to seeing at Princeton Junction, where the Acelas fly past at 135 mph. I'd venture to say that's 150.