• A little flying and a little biking

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

The other day I flew to Great Valley. A rather quiet day for the railroads. They only thing that I saw was a single locomotive of the B&P parked near the quarry on 219 just south of Great Valley. While descending into Akron and as we crossed over the CSX main, I caught Amtrak eastbound. That was it.

After that I got the bike out of the car and rode the West Shore east of Rt 93. It's unimproved with heavy ballast. Really hard to ride. I didn't make it very far. But, with fall and leaves coming off the trees, I did find a section of rail still spiked in place. I was surprised.

I'm not sure if this track is/was a siding or the beginning of a double track through Akron. I haven't looked at a map yet. I believe it goes behind Ford Gum and Machining. It is heavily filled with overgrowth and you won't see it during the summer. I had to really crawl around just to find a time stamp. Which was 1917.

On a different note, during September and early October it hadn't rained a whole lot. The large "lakes" of water on the West Shore near Sonwil in Cheektowaga had mostly evaporated. While riding my bike to work I see three spikes. I grab them. Riding up a little further I see a whole bunch more. They were sitting in a remaining puddle in sloppy mud so I didn't grab them at the time. I did go back later and I pulled 10 more spikes and some anchors I think.

I'm usually picky about when I pull stuff off of a line. But with the golf course going in, road work on Genesee St, surveyors on the line, I decided it was better to pull them off then be lost forever. Driving over the WS crossing on Genesee St on Rt33 I see several serveyor stakes in the ground. I'm thinking they are going to pull the rubber mat at some point. I haven't walked the line so I'm not entirely sure how far the stakes go.

by Ken W2KB

by SST

The only thing that SST stands for as far as my flying is concerned is Sub Sonic Transport. I travel at less than the speed of sound. However, I might be able to make the prop tips go super sonic [maybe] if I take the plane to 10,000 feet and point it straight down at full throttle. Again, maybe. :) I think I need a substantial increase in horsepower to even accomplish that.

It would be pretty cool to take the Concorde down the BR&P at treetop level south of Springville though. I'd have to watch for the C-130's out of the Falls. They like tree tops too.

by Ken W2KB

Down until the wings come off a bit above Vne. :wink:

Dunno if it would reach supersonic, but it would create a nice crater! :wink:

Fly safe!