• Union RR (Pittsburgh PA) 0-10-2 locos?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by cyclone399

I got a PFM brass URR 0-10-2 on eBay a few months ago and I'm getting ready to paint it. However, I'd like to learn more about these huge switchers. I've seen the pics on the Fallen Flag Railroad site, but I'm still leary about the numbers. I've been told that there were only 5, then I've been told there are 10? 300 - 304 were made in 1937 and 305 - 309 in 1939? Is that right...I have no idea?

Can any one please help me with some history, facts, numbers... Actually any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rob M

by Aa3rt

Cyclone399-these were very intriguing locomotives. I thought I remember reading once that they were originally to be built as 2-10-2's but the length of the turntables on the Union RR caused them to be built without the pilot truck. After the Union deiselized they went to the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range in Minnesota.

I do believe you are correct-there were a total of nine built. I'm unable to find some of my reference material at the moment so I'm not sure if their numbers were changed while on the DM&IR. It seems that I've seen many more pictures of them in service on the DM&IR than on the Union. However, that's probably not suprising as the area they served in the Pittsburg area did not lend itself well to railroad photography.

Some dimensions: 28"x32" cylinders, 61" drivers, 260 psi boiler pressure and a total weight of approximately 404,000 lbs.

One of these locos still exists and is on display at the Greenville (PA) Railroad Park Museum, still in DM&IR paint. Follow the link:

(WARNING-lots of annoying pop-up ads at this site.)

http://members.tripod.com/~greenville/rrpark.html

I'll check my "impeccably maintained" library to see if I can find any more information.

by Stan Lytle

URR had nine of the 0-10-2 locos. They were BLW 61907-61911, URR #301-305, built 6/1936, to DMIR #601-605 __/1949, and BLW 62059-62062, URR #306-309, built __/1937, to DMIR 606-609 __/____.

Stan Lytle