• Wyes and Turntables

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by pdman

In North Jersey on the DL&W and Erie, what were the location of any wyes and turntables?

As to wyes:

I remember the one just to the east of the L&NE crossover on the Branchville line being used.

West End, too.

Was the Kingsland Branch ever used operationally to turn equipment? Was that possible?

Turntables:

I remember a hole in the ground at Gladstone. Is it still there (haven't been there since the late 80s). Any others ever on the Gladstone branch?
  by ladder2

I seem to remember a wye in the Waldwick Yard (Erie) just past the tower if memory serves me correctly. Of course Erie has the turntable in Port Jervis which is still there.
  by livesteamer

IIFC, Hoboken had turntable just west of the MU Shops. In addition, I think the Rockaway Branch at Denville work as wye.
  by Tri-State Tom

Used to be a wye in Great Notch ( NJ ) yard on the ERIE Greenwood Lake line.

Also was a turntable in the freight yard just East of the LACKAWANNA Terminal in Montclair ( NJ ) on the branch of the same name.
  by Steve F45

there was a wye in waldwick. use historicaerials.com and search the 50's and you'll see it.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

There was a wye at Newburgh Junction on the Erie. In New York, but close enough.

Another wye at MQ (known today as Campbell Hall). And then the (previously-mentioned) turntable at Port Jervis.

Jim
  by NYS&W142Fan

There was a wye at PortMorris and there was a Roundhouse that my Grandfather worked on. If you google earth the site, you can still see the Wye. And Branchville had a small 57 ft truntable that was later replaced by a Wye. Newton had a turntable. My suggestion to you is get the book, "The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest NJ" by Larry Lowenthal and William T Greenberg, jr. It has a wealth of information on the DL&W including the turntables and wyes. Some good reading and has the building of the Cutoff in it. It has a Copy date of 1987.
  by CarterB

Where was the turntable in Suffern, NY? IIRC, under where the NY Thruway overpass is now? Anyone know when it was removed?
  by 262

On the Marion and Dayton,Ohio Branch,I read on George Ellwoods(Fallen Flags) if I remember correct that the Erie ran side by side with the New York Central at Coldwater Jct. into Dayton there was a directional running agreement in place,and also all locomotives were serviced and turned on NYC's turntable at Findlay St. where both roads had yards.The charge for turning a locomotive was 1$.All Eire traffic for Cincinnati and Indianapolis where interchanged onto the B&O under a haullage aggreement.I have also read that these were not the original alingments in the Dayton area.After a Flood in 1913,both the Erie and NYC were moved away from the Miami and Mad rivers to make way for Huffman Dam,leveys ,flood stage storage basins,and the filling of portions of the old Miami and Eire Canal which allowed flood waters easy entrance into the city.
  by DocJohn

There was a turntable at the north end of the yard n Nyack, NY.

John
  by wantsrail

There was a "Y" in Sparkill, NY on the Northern Branch.

The remains of the complete wye still exists as rail to trail pathways.
  by DavidHibbs50

I was a Signal Maintainer at Race St. tower,Philadelphia from 1947 to 1952. I have photographs of the tower built prior to 1929 with turntable. Also

one of the last tower. David L Hibbs,SR. [email protected]. Ph. 717-637-7723